AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Fake Amano Shrimp?

Registered Member Trapdoor Snail Enthusiast's Avatar

Default Fake Amano Shrimp?

it's one of those things you read about. shrimp sold as amanos turn out to be something else. i've got 13 shrimp and i'm confident 10 definitely are amano shrimp because a) they look like them and b) the source was trustworthy. however, the other three i'm not so sure.

i'm not at all upset that they might not be amanos. i understand that these things happen. at any point in the supply chain "fakes" can be slipped in by whoever, whenever, and wherever. to see that you just have to look at that case of horse meat ending up in burgers at burger king in europe a few years back.

anyway, bit of a tangent.

i'm new to keeping shrimp and i'm just not at all familiar with the different species so i'm wondering if maybe you guys can help me identify what i have? or if, maybe, they really are amanos with some color variation?

i've got some pictures and a video:

Registered Member

Default Re: Fake Amano Shrimp?

Hi Trapdoor Snail Enthusiast,

I had a very similar shrimp appear and reproduce in my tank about ten years ago. At first, I thought it was a mutation of Cherry Shrimp. Later I figured that it was Caradina babaulti which somehow hitch-hiked it's way into my tank on some plants. If I remember correctly C. babaulti has other color phases including green. Mine were nearly black with a slightly lighter stripe down their back. They were just as prolific as cherry shrimp.

Best of Luck,
    Andy