ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Have to clean my tank after disease killed most of my fish??????????????????????????

Default Have to clean my tank after disease killed most of my fish??????????????????????????

Hello all, I just got done with a disease that wiped out my entire tank except for 2 that I think were responsible and a young juvie I had in there to grow-out. I want to transfer these three to individual tanks and d-disease them. What I want to also do is disinfect the tank they were in, I've read about the bleach effect using the 8:1 combo. Years ago I had this same thing happen to me and I did use that bleach format, and it did work but by doing it it screwed up my tank after a while I had to replace the whole silicon seams a couple more times. Is their any other solution I can use so my tank seams won't leak in another year or two?????????????????????????????????Jim in Ohio

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re: Have to clean my tank after disease killed most of my fish???????????????????????

I've used Clorox Cleanup on mine and never sprung a leak down the road, but I don't let it set too long. The affect should be immediate. Or, you can use some PP...

Default Re: Have to clean my tank after disease killed most of my fish???????????????????????

I haven't had any trouble with 10 parts water to 2 parts clorox but I don't fill the entire tank. I just wiped down the sides and bottom and let the tank dry. I imagine a strong solution would work if you are leery of the clorox.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Willie

Agree with Liz. My rule of thumb is 20% Clorox for 20 minutes kills everything on contact. That means the tank has to be cleaned beforehand so the Clorox solution can contact the surface to be disinfected. Afterwards, just let it dry fully and the chlorine will gas off. Also you don't need to fill the tank. I lay the tank on one side and add just enough of the Clorox solution to cover the side for 20 minutes, then repeat on a different side. You don't need to rinse, you don't need to add dechlor - it's science.

I've often read comments that someone really "nuked" their tanks. Once something is dead, it doesn't get deader. 20% Clorox for 20 minutes will not damage the silicone like 100% Clorox for 3 days will.
    At my age, everything is irritating.

What about the filters, how should I go about cleaning them I have two Penguin filters hanging on the back along with a sponge filter? Jim

Real Name
    Willie

Wiped down all the surface, then 20% Clorox for 20 minutes. I would go with a new sponge filter since the treatment can significantly erode the sponge structure.
    At my age, everything is irritating.