AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Discus Feeding question

Registered Member

Default Discus Feeding question

Hi All,

Question - I have a new discus added to my tank (been through QT and all is fine) but I have a question about feeding as this particular discus doesn't like eating the food if it lands on the floor, so i bought some other granules that floats for a little bit to see if that helps. He seems to grab a few bits which is good, but i can see he constantly tries to get the food and most of the time misses it. So not sure if he can actually see the food properly or not, but i can't see any immediate issues with him health wise.

Does anyone have any ideas I could try?

Thanks
    Andy

new discus.jpg

Real Name
    Tom

Default Re: Discus Feeding question

If you try the loose freeze dried black worms your fish may have more success catching food and develop better eye to mouth coordination . These worms are longer and will float longer. Also contact who you got it from and find out what and how they were feeding.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy83 View Post
    Hi All,

Question - I have a new discus added to my tank (been through QT and all is fine) but I have a question about feeding as this particular discus doesn't like eating the food if it lands on the floor, so i bought some other granules that floats for a little bit to see if that helps. He seems to grab a few bits which is good, but i can see he constantly tries to get the food and most of the time misses it. So not sure if he can actually see the food properly or not, but i can't see any immediate issues with him health wise.

Does anyone have any ideas I could try?

Thanks
    Andy

new discus.jpg
    hi there. Give the discus time to adjust, it will start eating. Question for you??? what temperature do you keep the water at?? I find for me what works with picky eaters is pre-soaking the food in garlic guard and if that don't get it going I slowly raise the temperate... then slowly lower the temp back down once the discus adjust and eats with no problems...when all my discus where new I kept my temp at 86 degrees, after every one was eating fine and adjusted to their new environment I slowly lower the temp to 83 degrees. I lowered the temp by 1 degree a week...that's what worked for me..im no expert, just trying to to share what worked for me...hope that helps...good luck...BTW very beautiful discus.
    I love my Discus

Real Name
    Vinni Smith

Beautiful fish ~!

Raise the temp and get some frozen Discus Delight.
    I have not seen a fish that doesn't love that stuff.

Also, as posted above, NO EXPERT HERE.
    Just stating what works for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinni Smith View Post
    Beautiful fish ~!

Raise the temp and get some frozen Discus Delight.
    I have not seen a fish that doesn't love that stuff.

Also, as posted above, NO EXPERT HERE.
    Just stating what works for us.
    exactly.
    I love my Discus