AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Advice

Registered Member

Default Advice

Hi Guy's

I have recently changed from marine to a planted discus set up. It is 150lts and has been running for 5 months and have 3 discus,5 cory's and 10 cardinal's. All my test's are good and I do a weekly water change. I have just added another 3 discus last week from the same supplier, however the original 3 discus have went downhill rapidly. Their fins have seen to have withdrawn and they are hiding at the top of the tank in the corner. I have added a general health treatment but with little improvement. I was advised that I could keep 6 discus in my tank but I am now thinking that may be a bit much.

Any advice and help much appreciated.

Thank Vinny

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Advice

Hi Vinny, it is super hard to treat anything in planted tank. Is it possible to move the affected fish to a quarantine tank or remove the plants? I think you have a case of cross contamination between the old and new fish. I would start with a heavy dose of regular table salt.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

If you feel that the table salt will affect the plants than the quarantine tank would be the best direction like Pat says. If you have not used salt before you will find it very quick and effective. I think a 20 gallon tank for 3 fish would be okay for a short time would be okay.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

On second thought might be best to move all the discus to the QT and treat together. This would avoid a possible second cross contamination case in the future.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Tom

I’m guessing you didn’t qt the new fish? All new fish need qt for at least a month and than 2 more weeks with a hero fish from your first group. People have had good results with super ick cure or ick guard on cross contamination.

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    I’m guessing you didn’t qt the new fish? All new fish need qt for at least a month and than 2 more weeks with a hero fish from your first group. People have had good results with super ick cure or ick guard on cross contamination.
    True! I've seen a lot of people using Rid Ich+ these days...

Registered Member

I think we need more info on the 'downhill rapidly' part. What other signs are there that they are sick?

What size are the fish that you had previously and what size are the fish that you just added? Not saying that they aren't sick, and definitely QT is/should've been a must.. but it also sounds like it could be an issue with pecking order and acclimation to each other. Hiding isn't a sickness, seems like they might just be stressed/intimidated by the addition of the tankmates.
    Last edited by number1sixerfan; 03-20-2021 at 01:54 PM.

Registered Member

Hi Vinny,

With due respect to those more experienced than me, I think that social interaction and water quality are BIGGER in discus than quarantine. But I DO often quarantine to observe the fish.

I keep happy discus in planted tanks IF I have enough (10) and my Nitrates are at 5 - 10 and I am careful about water changes. I believe in a healthy environment (including no social stress) and immune system over meds and quarantine.

I try not to offend for believing in Mother Nature over pharmaceuticals

Best of luck to you, Vinny. I have been in your shoes.

Just an alternative View,
    Andy
    Last edited by andy77; 03-20-2021 at 03:28 PM.