ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Genetics of Pitch Black Rams

Default Re: Genetics of Pitch Black Rams

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    If you can cross to a Gold you will for sure get fry. If you breed to a black to a gold parent you should get a high percentage of viable fry. That's how I got got back in the game after this kick in the head. I'm sure that I can choose females.
    Oh okay! So, it is possible to get viable spawns. Just cannot do B/B-- need to mix with golds.
    Yes, I would like to get some golds and blacks. Maybe a dozen depending on price. If they are older-6 months- even better.

Sent you a PM.
    Mama Bear

Gold Member FischAutoTechGarten's Avatar
    Real Name
    Peter

The 6 Black Rams that I held back for myself are still doing very well. Good behavior, good growth! Good work Liz.
    Peter
    Cuerpo en Green Valley, Arizona, USA y Corazón en Alamos, Sonora, Mexico

learning never stops

Thanks Peter. I'm still selling them on AB. I have about 50 left. All my grow outs are from both black pairs that produced golds as well and black to gold crosses. Once they mature there should be no fertility problem with them. Going through this fertility problem was a depressing shock with fish of this quality. Note to everyone breeding these. If you breed black to black and get all back fry there is a high probability that about 1/4 of the offspring will not produce fertile eggs unless crossed with gold.

I wonder what happened to CoralBandit. He used to be here all the time and he has not appeared for a long time. He hasn't posted any auctions on AB for a long time either.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Tom

Guessing he’s busy with work. This is his busy season. He’s on another forum from time to time.

Thanks for letting me know. I was a little worried that he might be sick.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

I sent you a message on these...

I still have many pairs for sale. It seems that the infertility problem that I thought was related to the fish themselves was related to water quality. Please send me a PM rather that a visitor message. That way we can have a privite conversation rather a conversation in public.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Peter

Liz, I passed my Rams on so that I could lower my overall water temps in my entire system (I was keeping it high for 4 Rams... yeah 4... I had allot of jumpers.. go figure) to better suit corydoras (I'm keeping about 15 different kinds of corydoras)....

That said, I'll pass your info onto a fellow here in Tucson AZ that is also doing work with Rams and would like another source (in fact, he was mad at himself for not purchasing any Rams from that group I bought from you last summer).

Glad to know that your rams are doing well. Interesting, Marco related that he went through a phase with a couple of pair that were producing very small spawns..... But that one of the pairs picked it up and is producing very large spawns (I saw the videos... just huge... ). Tempremental demanding fish these Rams are...

One consequence of lowering my water temps is that my 6 large Bleeding Heart Tetras throw eggs at every water change (But the Venezuelan Black Corydoras in their tank devour the eggs immediately).
    Last edited by FischAutoTechGarten; 03-28-2022 at 07:47 PM. Reason: spelling
    Peter

learning never stops

Peter, It turns out that it was a water problem. I couldn't hatch a spawn even in TDS 35 water! I took Cliff's advice to remove the eggs and hatch them in 100% RO. I just had another batch of Pitch Black rams eggs whose eggs started wiggling this morning. Strange about the jumpers. During all the time I've had rams I've only had one jumper. Thanks for the referral.
    Mama Bear

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Peter, It turns out that it was a water problem. I couldn't hatch a spawn even in TDS 35 water! I took Cliff's advice to remove the eggs and hatch them in 100% RO. I just had another batch of Pitch Black rams eggs whose eggs started wiggling this morning. Strange about the jumpers. During all the time I've had rams I've only had one jumper. Thanks for the referral.
    Liz that's what I do sort of, I take the eggs out put them in RO in the specimen box with 2 drops of MB and return to the parents after 24 hrs. I might extend that a little bit since one of the pairs had 50 % white egg when they went back. The other pair 99 % good large spawn.

Just Call Me Chuck

Disclaimer : I am an old man and all this information is from the top of my head so any mistakes noted I claim the 5th

Cliff instructed me on what to do with Discus but I do the same thing with Rams. Change the wiggler's water with some of the parent's water when they first start to wiggle and return them to the parents when they first start to free swim.
    Mama Bear

Cliff instructed me on what to do with Discus but I do the same thing with Rams. Change the wiggler's water with some of the parent's water when they first start to wiggle and return them to the parents when they first start to free swim.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Peter

nice video. thanks for sharing.
    Peter

learning never stops

Registered Member

Liz, do you have any black rams available?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast