AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Angels Angels who has Angels...

Default Angels Angels who has Angels...

Once upon A time there was a discus guy that got into Angelfish.. and omg what a mistake that was! That discus guy was me...and I bred alot of them. I was literally using garbage cans in my garage to grow out fry. I had silvers, marbled,albino pearlscale, wild scalare , wild crosses and of course Altums. Even had discus raise my angel fry. I was over run with them and sent them to many friends... its been years but I am curious if anyone still has any of them or their offspring?

Im also curious if any one is breeding angels here and what you are working on. I'm finding myself toying with getting a tank of angels again. Its been years.
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 11-10-2023 at 08:47 PM.
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Francis

Default Re: Angels Angels who has Angels...

Just sharing….. F2 Rio Atabapo Altum Angelfish produced by Discus America in our Altum Angelfish breeding facility in Las Vegas NV.
    Discus America is the largest Altum Angelfish breeder in United States and the only place you can find tank bred F2 Rio Atabapo Altum Angelfish, currently in Las Vegas Tap water at 7.9ph and 410tds. Few groups of 6 and 10 will be added to our website Sunday night and it will be ready to ship Tuesday and Wednesday.

IMG_4943.jpg
    Grasshopper
    Francis

I"m the same as you with them, Al. It's too easy to get overrun since they breed like crazy, even when I cut the odds of success by only parent-raising. I'm tempted from time to time, but I've learned my lesson. Angels or Discus, not both. And now that I'm getting Discus spawning again, I even plan not to breed rams after this last batch is gone.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Willie

Liz, there's a simple solution. I keep Manacapurus and altums. If they were to spawn for me, I'm sure I'll find a solution.

MAAngels2.jpg

Both groups came from Tangled Up In Cichlids two years ago. The Manacapurus (wild caught P. scalare) have the golden brown shoulders and grow huge, although not as big as the altums.

MAAngels1.jpg

Despite what the literature/Internet may suggest, these fish do much better with high aeration. So they're always kept in a tank with a wavemaker.
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Real Name
    Francis

Nice angels Willie, saw in an advertisement F2 Rio Atabapo Altum Angelfish 6 for US $400.
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Real Name
    Julian

Al
    I'm guilty of that although in my case is the reverse . I was an Angels guy until I move to full discus around 2005 or so, today I still have some 3 breeding pairs that I letting the eggs go , as I don't want to end up with hundreds of angels again and have a hard time to get a home for them. They are two pairs o blue/silver and a Paraiba and black . 161E4E2E-4421-466D-AB47-B9CFB24BE553.jpeg9F8FD71D-F265-4BE3-8FE1-0568E115C567.jpegB413A160-7FD5-4DB8-91D1-6B7364192067.jpeg
    Breeding , interest and goals Wilds Heckels and Cuipeuas and a few Domestics pairs with occasional fry as well as Angels fancy Plecos , corys and shrimps.

Real Name
    Julian

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Liz, there's a simple solution. I keep Manacapurus and altums. If they were to spawn for me, I'm sure I'll find a solution.

MAAngels2.jpg

Both groups came from Tangled Up In Cichlids two years ago. The Manacapurus (wild caught P. scalare) have the golden brown shoulders and grow huge, although not as big as the altums.

MAAngels1.jpg

Despite what the literature/Internet may suggest, these fish do much better with high aeration. So they're always kept in a tank with a wavemaker.
    Beautiful Angels.
    Breeding , interest and goals Wilds Heckels and Cuipeuas and a few Domestics pairs with occasional fry as well as Angels fancy Plecos , corys and shrimps.

Willie, you are not helping.. lol. Really nice tank of Angels !

Julian those are really nice pairs. And that is problem isnt it... finding a home for the fry when there are hundreds each spawn.my LFS when we had LFS near us would take a handful at a time for literally nothing. I was out checking out shops this past week looking to see what was out there for fish in general... was surprised to see quarter size domestic angels for $20 a piece....

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Scott Winefka

Oh boy this subject comes at a good time, my wife just asked me the other day if I was going to get back into angels again. I remember drop shipping these things in the early 90's where at the time myself and angels plus were the only 2 doing it full time back then. Back then I had over 100 tanks full of angels and I agree with everyone else they take over quickly and not easy to sell them as fast as they breed. I must admit if I was to get a tank of angels again they would be the Altums. If I could get reliable sources to buy a good amount of angels every week or two I would get back into them again. Until then I will have to take a pass on them right now.

I am not breeding Rams already only a few left in my tanks. Also ABN's but wound up with a bach by mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    I"m the same as you with them, Al. It's too easy to get overrun since they breed like crazy, even when I cut the odds of success by only parent-raising. I'm tempted from time to time, but I've learned my lesson. Angels or Discus, not both. And now that I'm getting Discus spawning again, I even plan not to breed rams after this last batch is gone.
    Just Call Me Chuck

Disclaimer : I am an old man and all this information is from the top of my head so any mistakes noted I claim the 5th

Quote Originally Posted by Charlyc11 View Post
    I am not breeding Rams already only a few left in my tanks. Also ABN's but wound up with a bach by mistake.
    Kinda of funny.. you guys get out of Rams and I have blacks,golds, dutch blue and wild Rams that I am planning on breeding. I also plan on getting bolivian rams .

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

You have to much time on your hands. But that's a good thing keep it up Al those tiny fry are a nightmare to keep alive.
    Just Call Me Chuck

Disclaimer : I am an old man and all this information is from the top of my head so any mistakes noted I claim the 5th

Registered Member

Liz, do you have black ram pairs available

Real Name
    Willie

The issues with angels, actually with breeding just about any fish, is not how many you can spawn, but how many you can sell. So I try to spawn only strains that sell themselves. I have been struggling for the past 5 years to spawn high quality kois.

slate12x3.jpg

...Like I said, it's a struggle.
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Real Name
    Julian

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Willie, you are not helping.. lol. Really nice tank of Angels !

Julian those are really nice pairs. And that is problem isnt it... finding a home for the fry when there are hundreds each spawn.my LFS when we had LFS near us would take a handful at a time for literally nothing. I was out checking out shops this past week looking to see what was out there for fish in general... was surprised to see quarter size domestic angels for $20 a piece....
    Yes Al , here in North Florida last time I checked was $30 for Adults in the independent LFS , the chain stores you don't see them that much just smallest dime body which are $ 9.99 so is about the same.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast