ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Genetics of Pitch Black Rams

Real Name
    Tom

Default Re: Genetics of Pitch Black Rams

Liz most people are just keepers not breeders. I’ve never bought a fish with intent to breed. Those are some great looking rams!! And blacks are at a premium. I never see them at the pet stores by me. Most will be happy to thrilled to get some. And if yours are still producing. Keep selling!! You’ll make many people happy! And maybe get a new truck .

Gold Member FischAutoTechGarten's Avatar
    Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    LOL. Want me to send you some, Peter? They're cheap.
    hmm, tempting. only issue is I am maintaining 27degC - 28.5degC in the system. Falls to 27degC at night (the setpoint for the heat to come on) and increases to 28.5degC during the day. It's quite warm in my home (27degC or 80.5degF) due to the heat outside. My fishnook water runs warmer than that on it's own with the pumps and led lighting. My heat doesn't even come on now. My RO Water storage is in the bodega off of my carport...and I see that when I do 40% water changes, I don't even drop the temperature more than .5degC.

So, I'm not sure if 80.5 to 83.0 degF will be suitable for the rams. I hate to raise it anymore on account of my corydoras (6 different species of corydoras).
    Once it starts getting routinely 100degF outside, we will have our AC to maintain 80degF inside the home, so the situation shouldn't get much worse in the summer. My water changes will happen early in the morning, so by then even the RO Water in the bodega will probably have cooled to 80degF as well. We try to keep the AC off until June 1st, and then run it through October.

Please, send me a PM with a price to ship 2 to 4 of them to 85622 (or I can get them directly at Tucson International Airport... however you do it). I might consider it.
    Peter
    Cuerpo en Green Valley, Arizona, USA y Corazón en Alamos, Sonora, Mexico

learning never stops

PM sent.

I'd love nothing more than send them to someone who knows all about the fertility issue and just wants them to enjoy watching and caring for them rather than breed them.

If anyone else is interested in excellent quality Pitch Black Rams that will likely not produce wigglers please PM me. They're super cheap for their quality.

The reason I won't make this offer on Aquabid is because many people who buy there are looking for quality fish for breeding. I don't want to get the reputation for being the woman whose fish cannot produce fry. I've been thinking about this since I first realized there was a problem which was April 10 when I first posted about it. I usually make my decisions emotionally but not this one.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    LaFonda Creel

Send me some Miss. Liz I am setting up another tank.. ha

Real Name
    Peter

I'd take a gamble on some Liz, but I have a business trip in a few weeks and will be gone 3 weeks. My wife is accompanying me, so we will have friends from Mexico staying at the house taking care of the entire Fish Nook, 2 dogs, our cat and filling the bird/hummingbird feeders. Honestly, I expect there to be losses, despite my automation... So I don't want to take a risk on Rams until I am settled back home mid July.
    Peter

learning never stops

I'm hoping that the wholesaler who my pet store buys from, Sun Pet, will take the majority of these. Even at $5. each, it they take 100 it will amount to a pretty penny.

I have 2 new spawns now. The older spawn is a gold to black. All the kids are black. The other is one of the rare ones from a black to black pair. They are all black as well. The black to black spawn will have to be bred to gold when them mature, I'm sure of it. I'll probably breed the black to gold spawn back to gold, too.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Peter

Liz, If I were to buy 12, how quickly could they arrive to Tucson Arizona?
    Peter

learning never stops

USPS Express now says between one and three days.
    Mama Bear

I thought that I had up-dated this thread but I just looked at it and I have said nothing for a week. I had a pair of blacks that did produce fry so my guess is that 1 in 5 will be fertile. A couple of AB customers have told me that they have had fry, too. I crossed a gold male with a black female and got all black fry. Then I crossed a gold female with a black male and got half and half black and gold. It will be these I'll be keeping for future breeding and sales.

I should hear back from a potential buyer who has read this thread Saturday. He wants some for himself and will ask other hobbyists he knows if they might want some. I'll hear from the LPS Monday if their wholesaler is interested in the rest. Now that I have some good ones to grow out I feel much better about how this has turned out.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Peter

Well Liz, can't wait to receive some of those Pitch Black Rams. Lots of hobbyist here in southern Arizona are going to be quite pleased to have them. Nice talking to you Monday.
    Peter

learning never stops

Thanks Peter. I'm looking forward to you having them, too. All we need to do is pray to the gods of the USPS to do right.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Peter

They are in the quarantine tank.... 10 gallons of 95% RO and 5% aged tap. I removed all of the plants (although a quarantine tank, it's been serving as a plant nursery for trimmings I'm trading tomorrow) and did a 50% water change a few hours before the Rams arrived. Temp of 82degF (house is warm as our temps are between 105-109 this week... so I'm sitting at 28-29degC these days instead of 27degC).

Many are going to fellow hobbyist in the fish club tomorrow... I'll keep just four for myself.

28PitchBlackRams-LizS.jpg

Water appears cloudy in ths photo. Not sure why, but it is definitely very clear water.
    Peter

learning never stops

I know that I breed good fish and I really appreciate the fact that you are looking more at the quality than the breeding potential. Breeding is not the thing for most hobbyists, but it often is for hard to find fish like these. Mostly I'm just happy that you're pleased with them. Thanks.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Peter

I love keeping aquariums. I'm a rudimentary fishkeeper and subpar aquatic gardner. I'd be pleased just to keep everyone alive, well and happy. If breeding happens by accident, so be it... those youngins' will have to fend for themselves in those active community tanks of mine./. Breeding, that's not my end game. I just like having pretty community style tanks with a nice variety of plants and fish. That's why I have the Fish Nooks... 6 tanks on one system makes for a light work load, but permits me to have an awesome varity of livestock.
    Peter

learning never stops

Real Name
    Peter

They are gone. They were all gone by 12 noon today.... about 24 hours after receiving them. Will be interesting to see how the stores and the hobbyist do with them.
    Peter

learning never stops

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast