AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mystery Snails

Default Mystery Snails

Oh how far I have fallen since my Discus breeding days. I have developed an addiction to Mystery Snails. I bought a clutch of magenta colored eggs on AB a while ago. The guy sold them for next to nothing. I offered more when I discovered that they cost him more to ship than I paid for them, but he said no.

It has been a kick hatching them and watching them grow...So much so that I sent him an email and asked if he had a clutch of Ivory's he would sell me. He's sending them for next to nothing again but at least he won't loose money. I gave him a good talking to about pricing clutches so low. I've seen clutches advertised on AB for as much as $40. It's worth it because you get a couple hundred babies from each clutch.

The LPS will buy as many medium size ones as I can produce and the little buggers grow fast. The ones I want to keep and I can put in one of my several planted tanks. These snail are fun and never a bother because if you don't want more you can just remove the very large honey cone shaped of eggs that they lay above the water level.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Fritz

Default Re: Mystery Snails

Wow I could add those to my assassin snail sales. Been getting $1 each from LPS, they buy 20 or more at a time.
    Last edited by famtsberg; 03-26-2021 at 05:35 PM.
    The secret to learning how to fly is this, you must throw yourself at the ground and miss.

Real Name
    Willie

Come back from the Dark Side, Liz. Come back before it's too late!
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Don't worry, Willie. I just dabble in the dark side for a bit of entertainment.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Brian

I had one back in the early days before I even knew there was something called Cross Contamination. I got lucky, no CC, but can you even believe that a snail can have a personality? I had a bubble wand on the back of the tank and this thing would slide up the back of the tank and catch the bubble current and float to the front bottom of the tank. All day long! It was all day and it was comical, especially when my betta, Warren, would catch a ride, lol...

Hey , I got four about a month ago and man do they grow fast. Liz how do you hatch the eggs, they laid a couple lines in my Rams tank. Jim in Ohio

What strain(s) did you get Joe?

To hatch the eggs put the egg clutch on top of a damp (not wet) paper towel, cover them with a dry paper towel. put the lid on the container and float it in the tank where you want them. Check them every day, making sure the bottom paper towel is still damp and the top paper is still dry. When the eggs start changing color to a dirty grey they are ready to hatch. At that point you can break up the egg clutch into the tank. You will see teeny tiny little snails, but like you said, they do indeed grow fast.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Shan

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    I had one back in the early days before I even knew there was something called Cross Contamination. I got lucky, no CC, but can you even believe that a snail can have a personality? I had a bubble wand on the back of the tank and this thing would slide up the back of the tank and catch the bubble current and float to the front bottom of the tank. All day long! It was all day and it was comical, especially when my betta, Warren, would catch a ride, lol...
    That's hilarious
    Amateur discuskeeper, Professional doofus

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    What strain(s) did you get Joe?

To hatch the eggs put the egg clutch on top of a damp (not wet) paper towel, cover them with a dry paper towel. put the lid on the container and float it in the tank where you want them. Check them every day, making sure the bottom paper towel is still damp and the top paper is still dry. When the eggs start changing color to a dirty grey they are ready to hatch. At that point you can break up the egg clutch into the tank. You will see teeny tiny little snails, but like you said, they do indeed grow fast.
    I don't recall what strains they are, it was the variety pack one of each kind. From the colors of the snails one is dark like a blue, another is completely blond and two are brown stripes. I got a five pack one didn't make it. Thanks Liz I'll try to hatch them out. Jim in Ohio

I meant to say colors, not strains. The blue one is called a solid blue. They have a dark foot, too. The blond one is either a gold or an ivory, and the striped brown ones are chestnuts. Good luck with the hatching.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Do you keep the snails together with the discus? I have not been lucky with snails in my discus tanks, I've always thought it was because the soft water did not provide what ever they need to keep their shells healthy.

I do, but I the food I give them is full of calcium and the water in my Discus tanks is on the hard side. It is a myth that Discus require soft water.
    Mama Bear

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

Very correct Liz, I have proven it haven't I?

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!

Those 2 clutches of eggs I bought have gotten pretty big. Today I divided my favorite colors into trios and put each trio in it's on tank with either BN grow outs or shrimp. I didn't think I was fond of the ones with a black foot, but I have 3 stunning blues. The striped magentas are my favorites so I chose 2 nice trios of them. And finally I picked 3 light golds. I'll want to start a party here when I get my first clutch.

Willie, I don't care if I have fallen so low as to now want to be a snail breeder. I'm at level 70. At level 70 you can do as you choose.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Willie

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Willie, I don't care if I have fallen so low as to now want to be a snail breeder. I'm at level 70. At level 70 you can do as you choose.
    I've been called out!

To be honest, I now have mystery snails in my non-discus, non-angelfish tanks: gold, chestnut and magenta strains. These tanks are dedicated to breeding L-number plecos and various Ancistrus strains. Even though I change water in these tanks weekly, a huge amount of mulm accumulates during the week. After I put the snails in, the tanks got immediately cleaner. With snails, mulm has been reduced by 80% - 90%. Also, the glass is much cleaner than before.

Here's the part I don't get. YouTube is filled with videos about how to raise mystery snails and hatching out the eggs. In fact, mine started laying eggs 3 weeks after they went in the tank. I break off and toss the egg masses weekly, but there are hundreds, maybe thousands, of baby snails crawling now. I don't understand why you need to watch a video to keep snails.

A Level 66 guy.
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast