AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Please Save These Fish (Kenny's Discus)!

Default Re: Please Save These Fish (Kenny's Discus)!

Just letting everyone know, Jake's freak'n awesome. Seems like we kept hitting challenges but he kept over coming them. I'm honored to take care of those 4 big brown based reds and I thank you, Jake, for letting me treasure them. Means a lot --- they will be my own Kenny treasure day in and day out.

If they happen to breed (and I don't suck with raising quality offspring... I'm sending your way if you want). Regardless, I can't thank you enough and think it's awesome what you're doing.
    -Elliot

Real Name
    Shan

Can't wait to see those reds breeding one day. Fingers crossed
    Amateur discuskeeper, Professional doofus

They'll be in today, Shan! Trying to get the 3 RTs and 1 PB out so it's all browns! (Except for Heckle cross I have... I love that fish).
    -Elliot

Real Name
    Jake

Here's hoping that FedEx's online tracking is accurate, as Elliot has already pointed out that they are scheduled for delivery today, but we did end up going with 2-day AM shipping.

Since the sale of that group of 4 has been completed - I've gone ahead and held up my end of the deal which was to donate the amount given to me by Elliot as payment for the fish to Kenny's GoFundMe page. You can find that donation at the GoFundMe here: https://gofund.me/f4aecb73. If anyone would want confirmation that the transaction is real from the GoFundMe, I can PM proof of charges to an administrator such as Pat or Brian and they can confirm for everyone.

Anyone seeing this thread, I strongly encourage them to donate if they haven't yet (or donate again) if you are able. With how well Kenny has taken care of all of his customers as a supplier of high-quality discus, we should now show how his customers can take care of him - by taking care of his family.

Real Name
    Jake

As an additional note - I haven't received any additional interest in the remaining three - Turq, FGB, and FLSS. So my plan is to take these to an LFS who is willing to take them, but not provide any value in return.

I want SOMETHING to go to Kenny, so here's what I'm willing to do. If there's anyone interested in these fish, I'm willing to part with all 3 for $100. I'd much rather them go to an individual who knows how to care for these fish rather than to an LFS who is going to sell them to someone who may not care for them properly. If you want them shipped, I am willing to do so. However, I won't be able to cover the shipping costs, so it'll be $100 + cost of shipping. If you want to save some time - donate to Kenny's GoFundMe for the price of the fish ($100), send me proof in a private message, and then we can discuss shipping. These need a new home by this weekend.

I wish I had more time, but life decides its own timeline.

Real Name
    Shan

Ah I wish I had the space but I'm now maxed out in discus for my capacity.

Someone buy these fish and give them a good home!!! Try the SD facebook page too? Someone will instabuy I'm sure.

Hey everyone, just to help out Jake and try to get them to people that they have the space and what not to take on these awesome discus that he still has, just remember that they look small next to the ginormous brown-based Reds that Jake has sent me.
    They are not small and Jake is not only amazing for donating all the money I paid for the ones I snagged from him, BUT we've literally had some challenges along the way (e.g., bags getting delayed for him so we thought outside the box real quick and contacted a quality store near him for support, me thinking that I could handle all the FedEx coordination since I used to do it a while back and then of course some things had changed and I was nervous about securing stuff up and he stepped in immediately, crazy awesome Communications frim him, and more!) and he went seriously above and beyond to make it happen.

SOOOOOO....(update on browns)...of course remember Murphy's Law hates me the most and FedEx ended up giving me Blue Balls by saying they would be here by noon today although they weren't supposed to be here until noon tomorrow. Apparently, per the nice FedEx lady in India, there was "...a delay due to weather in Memphis Tennessee today..." although I actually did not hear of anything crazy. Regardless, I'm a kid the Night Before Christmas and ready to receive them.

The only nitpicking thing I could say about Jake is:

...he strongly believes that all four giant (average 6.75") browns coming my way are possibly female due to observing very thick, blunt tubes ------ I told him my money is on them being males that are just very well endowed with some serious girth
    Last edited by pastry; 04-14-2021 at 08:40 PM.
    -Elliot

Real Name
    Jake

I don't believe FedEx when they say there was a weather delay. The weather on Tuesday night and yesterday was wonderful here locally and, in Memphis where they are currently located, the recorded weather had no significant issues - no tornadoes, no thunderstorms, nada.

If you end up having a male out of that group, then I'll just chock it up to your assumptions of a well-endowed male because I've seen the tubes, and they're not like the tubes of my two males (turq and flss). :P

Well now it says they are at the North Charleston South Carolina hub as of 7:42 this morning! For delivery date it now reads nothing ( although that is only 25 minutes away from me). I swear someone at FedEx has a sick sense of humor... lol. Oh, and apparently the map tracker that shows where it has been went from a Louisville Kentucky to Memphis Tennessee trek yesterday but now it says it went from Louisville Kentucky straight to North Charleston South Carolina. The lesson learned for me: "Don't look!"
    -Elliot

Real Name
    Shan

The anticipation is also killing me Elliot

Real Name
    Tom

Yes there is nothing NOTHING worse than delivery day!! I’ve ordered discus 4 times now and none have arrived on time. Messages were sent from all delivery companies telling me they were out to be delivered and should be at my house by 10am. None show up till after 12. UPS assiduously I refused a delivery!! They never came I had to track them down. They were at a delivery station the box was wet and there policy is not to deliver wet boxes and just say I refused them!! It’s a win win for them and a lose lose for me. Nothing worse than delivery day!!!

Real Name
    Shan

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    Yes there is nothing NOTHING worse than delivery day!! I’ve ordered discus 4 times now and none have arrived on time. Messages were sent from all delivery companies telling me they were out to be delivered and should be at my house by 10am. None show up till after 12. UPS assiduously I refused a delivery!! They never came I had to track them down. They were at a delivery station the box was wet and there policy is not to deliver wet boxes and just say I refused them!! It’s a win win for them and a lose lose for me. Nothing worse than delivery day!!!
    ooof that is rough. Those poor discuses. UPS really needs to get paid a lot more so they can handle packages better

Real Name
    Jake

Thanks to everyone who has inquired about the fish. The remaining fish were taken to a LFS where they'll have them.

Shame more couldn't go to Kenny - but at least we gone some donated to his family.

Sorry for delay... will post more in another thread, but a good number of you know I'm painfully honest... well, due to me ignoring my gut, I convinced Jake to send 2-day (without O2 tank to fill bag)... and only 1 made it. It looked like had they arrived 2-3 hours earlier, they would've made it (and I revived one, then went to coach little league game, then saw text from wife during game that it died). Definitely 100% my fault -- Jake had even offered to meet me more than halfway but I insisted they'd be okay.

No jokes from me on this post -- I didn't just kill 3 of 4 discus by trying to save a buck... I killed 3 discus that were (to me) reminders of our dear Friend, Kenny. One is doing great and I fully intend to (for the first time) breed it to carry a line for me. For me, it doesn't make up for it... but helps. And I will do so (breed & raise fry) the right way.

I'm so sorry Jake. But all said and done, you're an amazing dude and wishing you a quick recovery after your surgery.
    -Elliot

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12