ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: New Tank Set Up

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jordan

Default New Tank Set Up

Good Evening Everyone!! I’ve been out of the hobby for a few years. Looking to get back in. There’s a lot of questions on my mind. Any and all advise is welcomed. I’ve owned a few discus in my time. I plan on purchasing a 125+ gallon tank. About 7-8 discus and 4-5 German blue rams as tank mates. I would like to have a live planted tank with sand for the substrate and driftwood. The only live plants I’ve had in tanks were Java moss. I’m sure you’ve seen these questions many times before. Please bear with me. My questions are as followed:

Which plants are best for the tank and discus and how do I take care of the plants and keep them rooted in sand? (Please give 3+ for me to do research on)

If I use black sand, will pigeon blood strains be effected? Or is it just the back ground.

Ive been using prime, microbe lift special blend, methylene blue, and aquarium salt. Any other conditioners/bacteria or meds that I should keep or look into?

Filters? Size and brand for 125 gallons.
    Sponge and/or fluval? Surface agitation and water flow?

Best place to purchase an 125g+ aquariums with canopy and stand. Online and stores welcomed. Also, brands would be nice as well.

When adding discus, I plan on purchasing 7-8, 5 inch discus from the same breeder at the same time. When adding them to my already established tank, do I need to quarantine if they’re the only fish in there at the moment? Also, should I deworm not medicate as soon as I receive them?

When feeding 7-8, five inch discus, how many feedings should I do per day? Also, what percentage and how many water changes per week/month? They will also be 4-5 rams in said tank.

Last but not least, in your opinion, who’s the best Discus breeders in America that breeds and ships 5”+ discus. (Please name 3+ breeders)

I appreciate everyone in advance for your time and expertise on the subject. I’ve been doing research and will continue to do so. Would love healthy fish and everything on hand so they live a happy life. I won’t be ready for fish until the end of the summer. Just getting ready early. Trying to catch some items on sale before hand to reduce the overall cost. I’ll keep you all updated with pics and maybe a few more questions to follow. If I missed anything I should consider please state so. Thanks again.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jordan

Default Re: New Tank Set Up

Never mind on the plants lol.

Registered Member

This is really interesting, I hope someone answers this.

Real Name
    Shan

If I use black sand, will pigeon blood strains be effected? Or is it just the back ground.

Peppering will happen. Light substrates are better but peppering looks cool too. I personally think it adds character to the colors. I guess depends on how peppered they are.

I've been using prime, microbe lift special blend, methylene blue, and aquarium salt. Any other conditioners/bacteria or meds that I should keep or look into?

Get some metro to keep on hand. A heater that can go up to 94F. You can use regular salt, natural salt from the home depot. Epsom salt for bloat treatment.

Filters? Size and brand for 125 gallons.

FX4/6? Sump? 6x sponge filters with 15x small tetra 20's works too. (joking) Anything is good but understand you need water changes regardless of filters.

Sponge and/or fluval? Surface agitation and water flow?

Im assuming this is a showtank? So sump is best. Cannisters are second. Sponges inside will distract but honestly its up to you.

Best place to purchase an 125g+ aquariums with canopy and stand. Online and stores welcomed. Also, brands would be nice as well.

Petco occasionally sells a 125+stand combo for 300 or 400. Other than that youll be paying high dollar for a setup unless you look for a decent one locally and buy used.

When adding discus, I plan on purchasing 7-8, 5 inch discus from the same breeder at the same time. When adding them to my already established tank, do I need to quarantine if they’re the only fish in there at the moment? Also, should I deworm not medicate as soon as I receive them?

It's not necessary if they are from the same breeder. Although being safe and watching them in an empty barebottom tank for a few weeks wouldn't hurt.

When feeding 7-8, five inch discus, how many feedings should I do per day? Also, what percentage and how many water changes per week/month? They will also be 4-5 rams in said tank.

I would feed once maybe twice a day. Light food nothing beefheart heavy so you can minimize water changers. They are practically full grown. Measure your nitrates. If your nitrates jump from 0-10 in 2 days, you need to do one every 2 days. However many and how every much you need to do in order to keep nitrates down. Also regardless of nitrates, I would do at least one large water change a week minimum.

Last but not least, in your opinion, who’s the best Discus breeders in America that breeds and ships 5”+ discus. (Please name 3+ breeders)

Golden State, Bay Area discus, Dennis Discus, Hans (but hes out right now), just to name a few. Don't buy from something phishy or discus.com
    Amateur discuskeeper, Professional doofus