ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Fin Rot... Please help!

Registered Member

Default Fin Rot... Please help!

Hi all! I would like to get your opinion in treating a suspected fin rot of my Blue Diamond discus. I purchased it last March 15, and on March 27, I noticed the upper and lower fins had some nips. The discus seems normal and eating well, and haven't been hiding in dark places, so I assumed that it's not really stressed. I immediately checked my NO3 and it's 10mg/L, NH4 is 0ppm. Temp was 30°C. pH is 7.0. I then medicated my 75G tank with Melafix. I've been medicating the tank for 3 days now. Do you think I should remove the sick discus and isolate him? Can Seachem Paraguard 1-hour soak help with the fin rot? Also, should I add any antibiotic like Furan2? Thanks in advance for your help!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by margaretpcmd; 03-30-2021 at 04:32 AM. Reason: I would like to attach photos

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re: Fin Rot... Please help!

It's pretty wide spread and isolating is a good idea. This condition can be caused by injury, diet, parasites or water quality.

I would move to a hospital tank and do water changes every day. Treat with 3-4 TBS salt per 10g for 10 days. Furan 2 can work on this but I prefer not to medicate is at all possible. Time will heal the rot if it's water quality.

Since you have a planted tank, I would read this link and see if you can take anything away from it... http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...-Are-Important

It would also be helpful if we knew your water parameters and water change schedule it would help. I like furanII but salt may work too and is not an antibiotic. When a fish starts looking like that the problem is generally water quality.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Frequent water changes and the discus will heal thy self. Very unlikely that a healthy fish would suddenly develop a fin bacterial or fungal infection.
    Probably from a quarrel or injury.