ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Common Sense Fish Health Management in the Home Aquarium

Real Name
    Willie

Default Common Sense Fish Health Management in the Home Aquarium

Dr. Ruth Francis Floyd will speak on disease management in the aquarium at the Minnesota Aquarium Society membership meeting tomorrow, Thursday, April 3, at 7 PM (Central). Ruth is the authority on fish disease management for ornamental fish and aquaculture industries in Florida. She has spoken at at least one NADA event, and even earlier in the Discus Study Group. The meeting is open to all, but you must pre-register at the MAS home page. After registering, you will receive an automated e-mail with the ZOOM link to log in.

The ZOOM meeting opens at 7 PM with the program beginning 5 minutes after. There will be 20 - 25 minutes of MAS business before Ruth begins her presentation. Ruth's presentation is meant to be general in nature and last 35 - 40 minutes. We will pause and attendees can stay in the session or move to virtual rooms for plants and fish. For those who remain with the speaker, the Q&A will continue until 9 PM.

Hope to see everyone there!
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Real Name
    Francis

Default Re: Common Sense Fish Health Management in the Home Aquarium

The ZOOM meeting with Dr.Floyd is tomorrow or April 3, at 7 PM ( Central).

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Dr. Ruth Francis Floyd will speak on disease management in the aquarium at the Minnesota Aquarium Society membership meeting tomorrow, Thursday, April 3, at 7 PM (Central). Ruth is the authority on fish disease management for ornamental fish and aquaculture industries in Florida. She has spoken at at least one NADA event, and even earlier in the Discus Study Group. The meeting is open to all, but you must pre-register at the MAS home page. After registering, you will receive an automated e-mail with the ZOOM link to log in.

The ZOOM meeting opens at 7 PM with the program beginning 5 minutes after. There will be 20 - 25 minutes of MAS business before Ruth begins her presentation. Ruth's presentation is meant to be general in nature and last 35 - 40 minutes. We will pause and attendees can stay in the session or move to virtual rooms for plants and fish. For those who remain with the speaker, the Q&A will continue until 9 PM.

Hope to see everyone there!
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Real Name
    Willie

Good catch, Francis. The talk is on Thursday, April 1.

Real Name
    Francis

Great ZOOM meeting today with Dr. Ruth Floyd.
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Real Name
    Willie

I learned a ton from her, particularly about salt dips. Ruth gave us permission to record her presentation, so we should have it up on YouTube in 2 - 3 weeks.

Real Name
    Francis

Salt dip(freshwater species)for Parasite control-short term bath formula from Dr. Ruth Floyd......Volume X ppt X 3.8 =gm

IMG_0744.jpg
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Willie,
    i want to pass on my thanks to the club for having her on and allowing those of us not in your club to join for free. I would have paid to see her speak.
    I have applied to join MAS even though i am out of state. We do not have any local clubs close enough to make it worth joining. The monthly speakers us an amazing idea and i have asked to join so i can see them.

Tammy

Real Name
    Willie

So glad you could join us, Tammy. I'm serving as the Programs Chair and have a strong bias for technical and professional speakers. Here's the list of speakers who have confirmed to speak to date.

Picture2.png

Dr. Paul Loiselle is talking next month on fish conservation in Madagascar. Dr. Tim Hovanec will talk about the nitrification cycle, something discussed almost daily here. Jason Oneppo is the R&D Director for San Francisco Bay Brine Shrimp. Sandy Moore is President of Segrest Farms and will provide a lot of insight on where the hobby is going. Stephen Tanner, who breeds the rarest L-number plecos and distributes Poret sponges among other products as Swiss Tropicals, also happens to be a Ph.D.