AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for help!!

Real Name
    Tom

Default Looking for help!!

Not sure what’s happened! But major problem in main tank. All readings are good in tank ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 5-10. Regular 50% water changes 3x a week. All good on Saturday. Last Thursday bought 2 new discus. There in a 29g in another room. They seem ok and are just starting to eat. They are small 1.5” and bought locally. Have there own stuff to keep from cross contamination. But I think that’s what I got. Monday 2 discus in main are down on the gravel with slime showing and the tank is starting to get cloudy. Did a 50% water change and realized something wrong so added a tbls of salt per 10g.Got some seachem metro and added it at 1 of its spoon per 10g. Tuesday waters cloudy all discus are showing signs. Redid above and raised temp to 88. Now Wednesday they are off the bottom but all blues are black showing slime coat. Went out and bought rid-ex plus. Seems it’s recomended for this problem. Didn’t use it yet just waiting for advice. Going to change water now. They seem better after water changes. For awhile at least.E6F75582-007C-4485-8CC3-4ACE6ADABD02.jpg18DD5685-ADFF-4D42-A632-F5FCF11BE823.jpg those were from yesterday next is nowB05C7403-5069-44A3-913D-06D9E7ED025D.jpg.

Registered Member

Default Re: Looking for help!!

sorry that this is happening to you. Really sucks when everything seems stable and then boom.

Not that it helps now but I would never purchase a discus from a local pet store.

Real Name
    Brian

Unfortunately, it looks like your solid attempt at avoiding cross contamination weren't successful. That much salt won't help in this case and since it's a planted tank I would go ahead and use the Rid Ich and keep a close eye on them and report changes.

Real Name
    Tom

Thanks Brian. I changed the water tonight and added the metro and the salt. Now all of them are on the top. Look better but not much. Do I just add the rid ick or do another water change than add it, that’s what I’m thinking. Haven’t used meds so really have no clue and hate to be throwing all this stuff in the tank. Going to wait till tomorrow before I try the rid ick. Can both it and the metro be added together?

Real Name
    Brian

I'm not familiar with using Rid Ich (or X, sorry I misread) so I would hate to make a recommendation on its use. I usually recommend a bare bottom tank with lots of salt and possibly nitrofurazone. I only mentioned it because you have a planted tank, you already have it on hand and I've seen people use it with excellent results. The amount of salt I use would wipe out your plants. I'll ask around and see if someone knows the proper usage of that stuff, but I'm pretty sure you can add it at any time. I'm just not sure about the amount to be used after a water change - whole dose or partial dose...

Real Name
    Brian

Oh, and lower the temp to 82.

Real Name
    Tom

Thanks Brian. Just not there yet. I’ve got metro in the tank so not sure if I can mix those two. Not sure if the metro is the right stuff either? Home today so I’m going to change water now and again tonight. Also doubled the salt last night and all are up and swimming and going after the food. Ok lower the temp? That tank is now at 88 and runs at 85. Will the 82 temp weaken the discus? Is this for the ick stuff? Will do just asking to understand.

Real Name
    Brian

It looks like a bacterial issue to me. Higher temps promote bacteria growth. Lowering the temp inhibits it. Salt destroys it.

Metro will not help in this case. Even if it would, I don't think there would be an issue combining them. It's a fairly weak antibiotic and can help with hex, but with hex we do want to raise the temp. 93 is best.

You kind of misspelled the Ich med you have. Can you tell me exactly what it is or even a picture? Rid Ich Plus... Ich X? They have different ingredients and may have different dosages.

Real Name
    Tom

Yes I did rid-ich plus253E3CD5-E73D-4320-ACF3-AE1D0FC5D40F.jpg fish are looking better.5AF19C7D-3783-412E-9E4E-3E146140C457.jpg they’re out and looking for food. Still havnt used the rid-inch stuff yet.

Real Name
    Brian

I would go ahead and use it unless you want to add more salt. How much salt are you using? This appears not to be hitting them as hard as I've seen in the past. The problem with more salt is your plants.

I would just follow the instructions on the bottle if you use the Rid Ich.

Real Name
    Tom

I’m using the 2 tablespoons per 10g. Plants can be moved I have an empty 50g. But they are out and eating now so I’m going to hold off. 2A54B699-3C79-4EA9-9046-5A2B9A8E4696.jpg. My next question is when using metro shouldn’t I do it for 10days? If it’s not worth using I’ll stop and go with more salt. Cause if it’s just the salt doing it now and more is better I’ll do that .

Real Name
    Brian

Metro is for hexamita or HITH as well as some other rarer conditions. I would use salt at 5-6 TBS per 10g for 10-14 days, 50% water change daily and replace the salt that is removed during water changes. Up it to 7 TBS per 10g if you don't see an immediate improvement. Just remember, the plants are also contaminated. You'll have to disinfect them as well using PP or another method.

Real Name
    Shan

Damn I'm sorry Tom!!
    Amateur discuskeeper, Professional doofus

Real Name
    Tom

Thanks Brian. Going to stop the metro and continue with the salt. Will remove plants. Been thinking of changing this tank anyway.

Thanks Shan! For me it’s a wake up call. Been to lucky for to long. New guys look great. They came in stressed like any new fish. But must have something in them. They are out and eating good and getting daily water changes.

Real Name
    Tom

Well it only gets better! Yes it’s in my other tank. So first tank is getting the salt now at 3 tbls per 10g going to 4 today. New tank is getting the rid-ich treatment. (So if anyone has any info on this treatment let me know ). Hopping for some results or any info on time frame. Looking around it seems like there are many different way to fight this.
    Just upset that it happened. Water is still fine as it was before. All tanks were getting 3+ water changes a week and the new fish are in their own tank in another tank. Of course there doing fine.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast