ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for help!!

Real Name
    Francis

Default Re: Looking for help!!

Salt (sodium chloride) works in many ways so depends on yr dosage....imo heavy dosage works well against many protozoan parasites, for relief stress fish with lower dosage.... Antibiotics, in and of themselves, do not cure a fish. Antibiotics merely control the population growth of bacteria in a fish long enough for its immune system to eliminate them. Although selecting the correct antibiotic is an important first step in controlling bacterial disease, proper administration of any antibiotic for the recommended number of days is equally important. the frequency (how often) and duration (how long) it should be administered (given), withdrawal time (if applicable—this is the length of time required, after the last dose of antibiotic has been given.... Different drug need different dosage to be effective....l
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Registered Member

Once they are out of the huddling or clumping generally you are over the hump. Just keep up with the salt treatment and add the furan2.

Cliff

Real Name
    Tom

Well I added the rid ich and have done 3 treatment. Discus are responding Can I add the furanII with the rid ich?

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Amanda

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    Well I added the rid ich and have done 3 treatment. Discus are responding Can I add the furanII with the rid ich?
    So glad to see that they're improving. And no, do not add Furan II with the rid ich! They seem to be responding well to the treatment!

Registered Member

They look great! Well done

Real Name
    Tom

Day 12 on main tank and it’s looking a lot better! Not perfect yet but looking goodA032C191-2120-4AD8-9649-5E06AA500E90.jpg day 10 on the second tank. Added some salt today. 94BC0158-A094-454A-A97A-71A8472A135F.jpg

Real Name
    Tom

Well everything is better. But some of the blues are still looking bad. Guess I should continue treatment? AF382762-2D88-4BB8-A22B-BD911D094581.jpg07C1DDAA-E3EC-4244-9D70-CC61504F3CA3.jpg these are from the first tank. These are from the second tank6AD92C93-0ABA-4C59-A6A5-0384BA039632.jpg.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Bill

Tom,
    You have beautiful tanks. So sorry to hear you going thru this. Sounds like things are improving, fingers crossed for you.

Real Name
    Tom

Well both tanks have cleaned up! The tank I used the rid-ich plus on has cleaned up perfectly and has been good for the last 2 weeks. The first tank cleared up but than one overnight went bad again. All fish had what looked like pop eye and slime showing. Tested water but all was good. Was still doing daily 50% water changes on both tanks but for some unknown reason this one relapsed or something else hit it? No clue what happened. One of the worst hit fish was one of the first ones to come out of the original cc. It was deteriorating! Pop eye fungus damaged fins. All over one night. Changed water cleaned sponge filters and added rid-ich and some salt 2tbs per 10g. This calmed the fish and got them eating. Been doing this daily now for first 3 days than stoped the salt. Now just the rid-ich. Brown discus is in separate tank healing nicely. But main tank is cloudy. Don’t understand why. It has an odor like the water is boiling. It’s not and at 82.6.

Real Name
    Francis

Kordon Rid Ich Plus ( formalin & malachite green)is a chemical treatment and only treats external.....you need to treat internal also with antibiotics.
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Real Name
    Brian

Sounds like a secondary issue. Can you post a close up photo? Popeye can be treated with tetracycline or kanamycin.

Real Name
    Tom

Thanks Brian! And thanks for always getting back to me . You’ve got me through this so thank you!! The secondary thing was 9 days ago. I’ve been treating with the rid-ich since. The one guy in bad shape is improving daily. That one I’m using the rid-ich and salt. It’s in a 5g tank. It was black and it’s eyes well covered white. This is it nowBD43A2F9-C521-465E-9102-72D04EDDE6E0.jpg3DA620BA-3F8A-4DFC-925D-48DDAAFBDDE5.jpg2B123AFE-965F-4A8F-839F-15BD6CF078BC.jpg.

Real Name
    Brian

You're welcome. Everyone's pulling for you on this! Have you monitored ammonia and ph levels? If you think it's getting better then I would stay the course. Once the infection goes internal it can be hard to deal with. Kanamycin is one of the best for overall internal infections but tetracycline is more targeted towards popeye infections. What is the current amount of salt you're using?

Real Name
    Tom

2tbs in the 5g also 1/2 teaspoon of rid-ich. I have no idea if it’s going internal? The main tank get cloudy.

About 3 days after stopping the treatments but still doing 50% wc I came down to a cloudy tank with half the discus having white eyes and 2 ottos dead. They are so far the only losses. 2 other ottos are fine. I tested for ammonia and nitrite. Both came in at 0. They’ve all gotten better but the tank does get cloudy. Testing with api kit all Is good. I clean the sponges daily and have floss in one of the filters. All sponges are dirty daily. Was never this bad before. Using an fx6 with a pre filter sponge and a odyssea 350 power head with 3 cartridges on it. 2 have sponges and one has floss.

Real Name
    Brian

Keep an eye on ph as well. It shouldn't be a problem with the water changes you're doing, but cloudy or white eyes can be a sign of a ph crash.

Like I said earlier, I have no experience with Rid Ich so I'm not aware of any side effects. In the past, we've only used salt (as much as 1tbs per gallon) or nitrofurizone.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast