Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for help!!

Real Name
    Francis

Default Re: Looking for help!!

1 US cup of table salt equals to 273 gm so 3 cups is 819 gm

https://www.inchcalculator.com/conve...-to-gram-salt/

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    Lots of info thanks! For those interested 380grams of salt is 3 cups. I’ve been adding 3 cups with every water change. Hope I not overdoing it. Salted tank the discus are all clustered in the top corner. 2 of gotten somewhat better. They are swimming to. The right.Attachment 130920 put the light on but not bright. More do come out for food. This tank started first and is in day 7. The other tank once I turned the light on they came out. They look better but are 2 days behind the other tank.Attachment 130921 this tank is just getting rid-ich plus. Both tanks are at 82 down from the norm of 86. Last the new guys are fine and eating everything that goes in.Attachment 130922.
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Real Name
    Tom

Yep sorry about that. No clue how I did that.

Real Name
    Francis

From what I read Fish Disease Diagnosis and Treatments by Dr. Edward J. Noga M.S.,D.V.M.

Salt treatments

1.bacterial gill disease
    2.chilodonellosis
    3.copepod infestation
    4.freshwater velvet disease
    5.red-sore disease
    6.trichodinosis
    7.monogenean infestation
    8.ich infection

64598C00-6246-4B9E-A7C7-DE186E114CE2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by captainandy View Post
    All the domestics have horrible immune systems because they have been inbred for generation upon generation. Most domestics that are healthy can battle moves bacterial infections with a decent immune response. However, virus variety and the ability to kill the host, way outnumber (by magnitudes) all other pathogens.

The best you can do is support them with temps in the mid to high 80's with clean and very well oxygenated water and hope the fish can mount a response before the virus kills it.

Viruses need not be airborne as there are droplets all over the place, including nets, hands, clothing,etc.
    Finally, IMO it makes absolutely no sense to add salt. The discus homeostasis (kidney, gills and other organs) came from millions of years of evolution in soft water) and salt can only upset this homeostasis and cause more stress.

Just because many with 1000s of posts recommend salt for discus disease does not make it right. Check a veterinary or ichthyology text an you will not find salt used very often, if at all.
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Real Name
    Shan

Good info Franky, saved.
    Amateur discuskeeper, Professional doofus

Registered Member

How is the fish? Is it somehow better?

Real Name
    Tom

Pablos it’s tanks not fish . Rid-ich tank looks ok but the blue guys. Most are eating and out if I leave the light on. Shut off the light and they all hide.7C8997C4-56F1-4B5A-A968-041AF7DD6B0B.jpg blue guysD9122888-E77D-4596-B5C9-01800DC41258.jpg other tank has mostly blue so they look bad. Some are eating. They are out more with the light on. Think I’m going to add the rid-ich to this tank too.5ED6207E-8787-45F6-A864-6E93D0CB8FB6.jpg91D38086-CB87-4761-A34B-E13B25A30592.jpg

Real Name
    Brian

Some are looking pretty rough. Just keep in mind that it's extremely difficult to treat in a planted tank. I would also leave the lights off during treatment.

I just saw the rams. How are they taking all this?

Real Name
    Tom

All dither fish are fine. Showing no sign of stress. This is a discus only disease it hasn’t crossed into my angelfish tank.
    All plants have been moved out of the main tank. The rams and plants are in the tank being treated with rid-ich.
    As to the lights I had them off but the fish were hiding with the lights off. Turned them on and some have come out in the salt tank and all are out in the rid-ich tank plus this group is eating. So I’m leaving them on for a few hours. When off the discus are all grouped together on the top of the tank.

Real Name
    Brian

On the plus side, if it hasn't hit the angelfish then it may not be air born.

Like I said, I have no experience using Rid Ich, only recommendations from others. I've always recommended nitrofurizone.

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Amanda

When I was having my cross contamination issue months back, I first treated with nitrofurazone. Half of the fish got better with that treatment! I waited a couple of weeks and then did the Rid Ich/Salt treatment and the rest of the fish got better.. I'd say both treatments worked out fairly well. It was a painfully slow recovery though.. I still have some skinny fish that I'm still working on getting healthy again, they lost so much weight during the treatments.

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    On the plus side, if it hasn't hit the angelfish then it may not be air born.

Like I said, I have no experience using Rid Ich, only recommendations from others. I've always recommended nitrofurizone.
    Last edited by Acerrato; 04-07-2021 at 06:49 PM.

Real Name
    Shan

Hang in there Tom
    Amateur discuskeeper, Professional doofus

Real Name
    Tom

Hanging on!! Brian I added the rid-ich to the first tank. More are now moving about. So will continue with both. Will wait on the nitrofurizone. Thats furan II ?
    Amanda did the nitrofurizone cure the blue discus. Those as of now look the worst. All red,pigeon blood and brown are getting better. But the blues still look the worst. Better in the rid-ich tank though than the salt tank. Today’s picks salt tank first 9E99797F-8588-462A-8F73-EFA405A12AB1.jpg rid-ich tank.0B8EED25-BA43-4DB0-B6D4-2F110F459D31.jpg.

Real Name
    Brian

Yes on the Furan 2. And note, the blues will show more stress than PB's under the same conditions because they can turn dark. PB's cannot.

The main appeal I have to Rid Ich is it's not an antibiotic. I use antibiotics as a last resort.

Gold Member
    Real Name
    Amanda

Tom my PB's seemed the least affected and the blue ones more affected... as Brian said though - the PB's can't really change in color like the bluer ones... I remember all of my blue fish looked worse than the PB's by far... So I'm going to have to agree with Brian and say that the reason the blue's look more sick is because they're able to color change.

Real Name
    Tom

Ok thanks again! I get the color reason. But a few days back the pbs had a white film on them as did the reds. That film is mostly gone on them. The uncle sams red cover and brown are eating and almost back to normal. I would say most improved over all. In the second tank the pbs and red tigers are showing the most improvement. In the second tank all are eating. Just writing what I’m seeing as I go along with this. Will continue documenting as I go. Day 2 with the rid ich in main tank and all have moved out of the clump in the corner. May add salt to other tank. Going to give it another day.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast