Real Name
    Shan

Default Re: Looking for help!!

Looking good so far. Hope he recovers too. Time will tell
    Amateur discuskeeper, Professional doofus

Real Name
    Tom

Well it does seem like I’m done here . Both tanks are fine as are the rest of the tanks. Still have one getting better. But he looks like he’ll be going back to the main tank soon.
    Thanks for everybody’s help!! Having never used meds or had this problem before you guys got me through this!! What I’ve learned is rid-ich plus with salt will kill off this problem! Will keep rid-ich in house now.
    D3768824-3431-4DA2-A370-3431E4477C73.jpg897DB15A-E372-448E-979B-576C9F1F0DF5.jpg

Real Name
    Brian

Sigh of relief! Good job Tom!

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Bloody marvelous mate

Registered Member

Good to see that you handled it! Would you be able to summarize how you treated them? What are ingredients of rid-ich plus ?

Real Name
    Francis

Kordon Rid Ich Plus active ingredients are Formalin & Malachite Green

http://www.kordon.com/kordon/product...ompatabilities!

Quote Originally Posted by pablos View Post
    Good to see that you handled it! Would you be able to summarize how you treated them? What are ingredients of rid-ich plus ?
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Real Name
    Tom

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Nice work Tom!! Fish look happy and healthy now mate

Registered Member

Tom,
    Looking at the tank and reading through the threads, couple of points to think through

1) The plants, wood, decoration, gravel, sand has tons of surface area.
    The medication you add works by absorbing on surface. So majority of medication you add to this tank is not available in water column, so fish might get very little.

2) The best is to treat your fish in a bare bottom tank that has a seasoned filter of some sort. Small tanks are better.

3) I don't know your exact circumstances, but this is what I would do if I'm in similar situation
    a) prepare a quarantine tank, bare bottom with seasoned filter. Make sure your filter system has no carbon, purigen, or any chemical filter. Sponge filters are best if you have anything seasoned.

b) prepare the water as you usually do, add the the salt and medication.
    Keep water at 88F or so. I have not seen the fish in person but for similar looking fish I tried Furan 2. For milder condition I have seen prazi works too. But again symptoms dictate

c) stick to one medication at a time for few days. Salt in water is basic, so it's should be there.

d) stick with 50% WC daily and adjust the medication dose to keep constant strength of medication in water column. This is critical.

c) don't use medicine cocktail. It never wworksin my experience as we cannot check the stats of the fish as doctors do. Also don't feed too much
    First notice sign of improvement before feeding. I am assuming at this stage they are not eating.

These things helped me in past. Keep it simple.

Good luck..I know how it feels..went through this pain many times.
    If possible keep a bare bottom hospital handy for situations like this.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by joy.guha View Post
    Tom,
    Looking at the tank and reading through the threads, couple of points to think through

1) The plants, wood, decoration, gravel, sand has tons of surface area.
    The medication you add works by absorbing on surface. So majority of medication you add to this tank is not available in water column, so fish might get very little.

2) The best is to treat your fish in a bare bottom tank that has a seasoned filter of some sort. Small tanks are better.

3) I don't know your exact circumstances, but this is what I would do if I'm in similar situation
    a) prepare a quarantine tank, bare bottom with seasoned filter. Make sure your filter system has no carbon, purigen, or any chemical filter. Sponge filters are best if you have anything seasoned.

b) prepare the water as you usually do, add the the salt and medication.
    Keep water at 88F or so. I have not seen the fish in person but for similar looking fish I tried Furan 2. For milder condition I have seen prazi works too. But again symptoms dictate

c) stick to one medication at a time for few days. Salt in water is basic, so it's should be there.

d) stick with 50% WC daily and adjust the medication dose to keep constant strength of medication in water column. This is critical.

c) don't use medicine cocktail. It never wworksin my experience as we cannot check the stats of the fish as doctors do. Also don't feed too much
    First notice sign of improvement before feeding. I am assuming at this stage they are not eating.

These things helped me in past. Keep it simple.

Good luck..I know how it feels..went through this pain many times.
    If possible keep a bare bottom hospital handy for situations like this.
    I think whatever Tom did is right as he has managed to cure them all

Real Name
    Tom

Lol Joy yes I’m done as of now and it’s over. Please read through this thread. The help given and what was done worked great. All discus recovered. My second tank I didn’t remove anything and it healed faster. Yes the metro was a mistake in the first tank but had no negative results. Please read through this raising the temp is a bad idea for cross contamination and will lead to the bacteria spreading faster.
    Joy there’s a lot of misinformation out there!! There’s also a lot of people who refuse to take information and those who just love to throw stuff out there. That’s why there are so many problems. If we listen to the people on this site you will find the right answers.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    LaFonda Creel

Tom,
    Very glad you got past the CC can you treat corys and snails with Rid Ich? I have never dealt with CC and hope I never do. I panic with any thing that goes wrong with my tanks..

Real Name
    Tom

Yes my corys in both tanks did fine! No problems at all by either the cc or the rid-ich plus. As for snails in my first tank I removed the nerite snails and what I could catch of my mts. But whatever was left also survived cause they’re still in both tanks. And I went to about 7tbs of salt per 10g in the beginning.

Your name looks familiar. Are you on the Facebook site?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    LaFonda Creel

Yes I am. I have talk to you on my Facebook on the Simply Discus page.
    I am so proud you saved all your fish. You did an awesome job.
    LaFonda

Real Name
    Tom

Well glad you came on here! There are some very knowledgeable people here who give solid advice. Not as fast passed as Facebook but problems and questions are actually worked on and not just commented on .

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast