ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Looking for help!!

Real Name
    Tom

Default Re: Looking for help!!

Well the meds do go through the filters. Don’t think filters were problems. But yes all sponges were cleaned daily and the fx6 was cleaned out the first week and again after it had cleared up.

Real Name
    Tom

Well 3 months later and all is still well! I haven’t changed . Bought some really nice discus at a totally different shop. One I’d never bought from! But they went into qt with all there own stuff and me washing my hands all the time. These fish were fine and are now in the main tanks! So hey you can’t let things change you. Be prepared and enjoy the hobby. Alway learning .9829568C-CD3C-44E6-A108-54AD6DEA87E4.jpegE59EF7C3-5334-4D0E-9568-DE944F03B145.jpg197FE87A-5848-47C6-82F0-8AB57B5B8044.jpg

Real Name
    Tom

Well it’s been close to a year since this started. The fish have all gotten over the cc but it seems like the cc or the meds used to fight it have caused some damage to the discus. About 2 months ago the dark angel stopped eating and it looked like it’s lips got swollen. Within a week it was dead. Next a blue one showed the swollen lips but it still ate. I removed it and added it to a qt tank. First retreated it with the ridich. Some of its color came back but in general still doesn’t look good. Treated it with kanaplex,metro and prazipro with no results and it has gotten darker but it’s still eating. I’m now again treating with the rid-ich just to see if I can get its color back. While doing this last week my large orange discus (my avatar) stopped eating. No swollen lips just started hiding at times and not eating. Found it dead this morn. Kind of surprised. This tank was treated first with the metro than with heavy doses of salt than the rid-ich. First results were after the rid-ich treatment. Seemed the tank started clearing with the rid-ich. Even though the fish did get better none of the Hans discus ever showed there vibarant colors. All looked kind of dull. Most mating stopped in the tank. The other tank that got the cc a few days after the first got a much less dosage of salt 1-2tbs per 10g and the rid-ick. This tank has come back fine breeding discus have continued and all the Hans discus are showing full color. This tank seems to have come back.

The first tank has since lost 3 discus. The red cover,which seemed to be the first to recover from the cc. The dark angel and the bright orange. Nothing wrong in the tank. Waters fine. Just seems like lasting effects of the cc. May be the heavy doses of salt? Not sure. Something else I did in this tank after the dark angel died was I removed 4 discus that were runts or just seemed off. 2 Hans (runts) and 2 store bought. I but these with another Hans runt into my 90g where they all seem fine. All but the last runt are 3yr old fish. So it seems to me there are lasting effects from the cc.

Real Name
    Brian

I've never had a discus have short or long term health issues related to salt. And the amount of salt you used sounds like a lot but really wasn't that heavy of a concentration. Nothing in the rid ich should cause long term issues either. Swollen lips are usually a bacterial or fungal condition.

Have you ever examined the feces for roundworms or capillaria?

Real Name
    Tom

No never examined or even own a microscope. Before this I’ve never used meds. I’ve never dewormed my discus. I read lots of people do. First time I’ve used praxi-pro was just recently for Gill flukes. Guess I should do this to both tank. Is there a better dewormer? Something that doesn’t bother snails or plants? Thanks.

Real Name
    Tom

Well problems from this first tank continue. Now I’ve done a lot since they were over the cc. I moved about 5 fish out. Could this have depressed the fish?? Can fish get depressed? I’ve got no clue just saying what I did. I’ve added new fish to this tank. The original 2 that started the cc a red from Dennis discus and much later 2 leopards that I got locally. And a blue tiger I got from Kenny awhile back that was in the second tank. This fish and it’s partner just never fit into the second tank. Always dark. Couldn’t catch the other so I left it. Now this fish also had the cc in that tank. The rid-ich and minimum salt. This fish is fine in the first tank. Rarely dark and mostly colored up nicely. Left from the first tank are 5 discus. 3 still in the tank and 2 in my community 90g. Of the 3 still in there the brown looks the best. The 2 Hans are ok but dull in color. In the second tank all is well. All of the Hans discus are doing great and looking great. The only off fish in there is that other Kenny’s and it was always off. Eats fine just doesn’t interact with the rest of the group. It will be heading to the first tank soon.

So this cc is still affecting the first tank. Treated some of the fish before they died with no great results. Believe the blue died just from the different meds tried. The last Ed used was the EM and it was also used on one of the blue Hans that had stopped eating. This fish has come back and is now eating. But it is still off colored. More gray than blue as is it’s partner that has always eaten. So it’s hard for me to know what’s going on in this first tank. All new fish look and act fine. Will be waiting now to see what else happens. This tank is well filtered with an fx6 and a eshopps wet/dry on it with an odyssea 350 internal pump. So thetankis getting the water filtered at at least 1000g an hour. Also a green killing machine uv. Nothing off with the water and it’s changed twice a week at 50%. I know it’s recomended but the difference as of now is the amount of salt added to the first tank. Could this salt affected internal organs? Next the discus in the first tank we’re a year older than those in the second. Could that year have been the difference?

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567