AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: epson salt bath

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Daphne Moon

Default epson salt bath

Hi, when doing and epson salt bath to treat bloat, how long does the fish has to be in the bath for? what are the proportions of salt? and can it be done in a bucket?
    Thank you

Default Re: epson salt bath

I don't think you can do it in a bath. I'm pretty sure you put it in the tank water and leave it until the fish poops. To my understanding if it doesn't work within 2 days it's not going to work.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Brendan

Quote Originally Posted by daphne View Post
    Hi, when doing and epson salt bath to treat bloat, how long does the fish has to be in the bath for? what are the proportions of salt? and can it be done in a bucket?
    Thank you
    I’ve only ever done it in the tank, whether that be hospital tank or main tank. Can’t recall off the top of my head but pretty sure it’s 1 TBSP/10g of water.
    21 Discus, 7 Green Tree Frogs, 3 Eastern Dwarf Tree frogs, 1 Coastal Carpet Python,6 sawshelled/Murray river turtles, 2 dogs, a cat, 2 kids and a wife. Phew...what a mouthful

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Real Name
    Francis

Epsom salt (magnesium sulfate) is a laxitive. It will help constipated, bloated fish pass feces (poop). You use 1 or 2 teaspoons for each 10 gallons of tank water. Disolve the epsom salt in a cup of water and pour into tank. It should work in 2 to 4 hours. You can redose after 4 hours, but if it hasn't worked in 24 hours, it probably won't work at all.

Regular salt (sodium chloride) also sold as kosher salt, pickling salt, rock salt or aquarium salt is the type of salt we eat. It helps discus gill function and will reduce fungus and bacteria at high enough concentrations. A typical dose is 1 or 2 tablespoons per ten gallon of tank water disolved in a cup and poured in tank. This treatment usually lasts a week or so.

To keep the salt concentration stable you must add more salt when you add clean water to the tank. Let's say you have removed 10 gallons of water for a water change and will be adding 10 gallons of clean water back. Add another 1 or 2 tablespoons salt to replace the salt lost through water change.

While epsom salt and regular salt are good on an occasional basis it is not good to have them in the tank all the time.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...d-regular-salt
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Registered Member

This is interesting, I never heard of this. Though I agree with seanyuki. It makes sense the most to me.