ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Filtration Suggestions

Registered Member

Default Filtration Suggestions

I am currently in the process of converting my 5x3x2ft (215G) tank into a tank for wild discus.

The tank will definitely house are;
    - 15 x Wild Caught Green Discus ‘Rio Nanay’

Possible Stocking;
    - a small group of 6-8 wild caught Pterophyllum Scalare ‘Rio Nanay’ OR a group of Geophagus Sveni
    - a group of wild caught Brochis Splendens
    - a characin group (possible tetra or Hemiodus species)

This tank will not be their final tank. They will move to a 6x3x2.5ft (320G) after a few month.

I am wanting filtration suggestions. The tank is currently filtered off two large sponge filters (rated up to 180G each, but I am not the biggest fan of the sight of them in the tank) I am thinking about going with a Fluval FX6 but I am unsure if this will be enough / provide enough flow. I can add either a powerhead / another filter (but at the same time I don’t want to create too much flow, as from everything I’ve read they come from stagnant waters in the wild) This tank is located in my fishroom so it will only be me and a few others seeing it as it will not be on display in my house. But I would still like it to be a nice display. I am planning to hide the intakes of the filter behind driftwood (I currently have some really nice large pieces of branchy ghost wood in the tank). I plan to either use Pothos or water lettuce in order to provide a bit of extra filtration.

Would love filter suggestions as well as suggestions on best configuration for intakes / outlets (intake/outlet on opposite sides of the tank or both on the same side etc)

Real Name
    Shan

Default Re: Filtration Suggestions

Is drilling and sump an option?
    Amateur discuskeeper, Professional doofus

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shan_Evolved View Post
    Is drilling and sump an option?
    The tank is on a rack in my fishroom so there is another tank of equal size below so there isn’t room for a sump unfortunately

Real Name
    Brendan

If a sump is totally out of the question, I’ve used FX6’s with good success. Intake and outlet on opposite ends creates good flow. You can safely reduce the flow via the valves if necessary too.
    21 Discus, 7 Green Tree Frogs, 3 Eastern Dwarf Tree frogs, 1 Coastal Carpet Python,6 sawshelled/Murray river turtles, 2 dogs, a cat, 2 kids and a wife. Phew...what a mouthful

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrendanJ23 View Post
    If a sump is totally out of the question, I’ve used FX6’s with good success. Intake and outlet on opposite ends creates good flow. You can safely reduce the flow via the valves if necessary too.
    Do you think 1 fx6 is enough? Or would I require 2?
    Last edited by Stiker; 04-02-2021 at 07:36 PM. Reason: Incorrect spelling

Real Name
    Brendan

Quote Originally Posted by Stiker View Post
    Do you think 1 fx6 is enough? Or would I require 2?
    Look one is probably enough , dependent on stocking levels etc. I ran two on my 6x2x2. It also comes in handy if one needs cleaning, or breaks, or out of action for whatever reason. It means your tank can still run and be fine with 1 filter until the other one is back online. If you can afford it, I would say do it.
    21 Discus, 7 Green Tree Frogs, 3 Eastern Dwarf Tree frogs, 1 Coastal Carpet Python,6 sawshelled/Murray river turtles, 2 dogs, a cat, 2 kids and a wife. Phew...what a mouthful

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrendanJ23 View Post
    Look one is probably enough , dependent on stocking levels etc. I ran two on my 6x2x2. It also comes in handy if one needs cleaning, or breaks, or out of action for whatever reason. It means your tank can still run and be fine with 1 filter until the other one is back online. If you can afford it, I would say do it.
    I picked up two of them. I figured once my 6x3x2.5 arrives and I move the Rio Nanay discus across I can just move both of those filters over (which hopefully will be enough flow/ filtration for the larger setup) plus I figured in the 5x3 if it is too much flow I can just reduce the flow