AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Lone Adult Discus

Registered Member

Default Lone Adult Discus

Got a large adult Red Eagle discus in my 75 gallon that is now alone, besides some rummy nose and cories. He had a buddy that he always swam with (I got at the same time as him years ago) but a heater malfunction a couple months back almost boiled the whole tank. My Red Eagle managed to withstand and has been a lone discus since. He appears very healthy but tends to hide a little bit more, wondering if adding another/more discus would help or be a good idea?
    Would adding more discus make him happier and more comforted? Or would it lead to fighting and issues? With him nearly dinner plate size, would I want to add smaller discus or large similar sized discus?
    I have had him so long the last thing I want to do is add more discus and create issues for him. Was planning on just scaping the tank around him, but wasn't sure if discus like loneliness Lol.
    Any input would be appreciated!

Registered Member

Default Re: Lone Adult Discus

Definitely get some more Discus. If you can afford 5" size get at least three. I have a lone
    5" discus right now in a 60 gallon. I bought four 3" r's and going to put them with him after
    quarantine. I feel bad that he is a loner right now.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by wannafish View Post
    Definitely get some more Discus. If you can afford 5" size get at least three. I have a lone
    5" discus right now in a 60 gallon. I bought four 3" r's and going to put them with him after
    quarantine. I feel bad that he is a loner right now.
    I was thinking the same. I would be willing to buy larger (5"+) discus if I am assured the new comers wont come in and disrupt my big lone discus! Thats kinda the issue I'm having, if adding new discus is a good idea, what size? What size will yield the best outcome for everyone / have the least aggression issues?

Real Name
    Brendan

Quote Originally Posted by discusmatt20 View Post
    I was thinking the same. I would be willing to buy larger (5"+) discus if I am assured the new comers wont come in and disrupt my big lone discus! Thats kinda the issue I'm having, if adding new discus is a good idea, what size? What size will yield the best outcome for everyone / have the least aggression issues?
    Anything 3” and above I would assume be fine. However, when introducing new fish, rearrange the tank to reset any territories etc.
    21 Discus, 7 Green Tree Frogs, 3 Eastern Dwarf Tree frogs, 1 Coastal Carpet Python,6 sawshelled/Murray river turtles, 2 dogs, a cat, 2 kids and a wife. Phew...what a mouthful

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrendanJ23 View Post
    Anything 3” and above I would assume be fine. However, when introducing new fish, rearrange the tank to reset any territories etc.
    Yup, I agree with you. You can't put a Discus inside and call it a day.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrendanJ23 View Post
    I was thinking around this size, leaving my current guy with a size advantage. I would rather my current discus bully the new guys, than new guys coming in and bullying my current discus. Thanks for the help!

Side note, I always bought from Kenny. Anyone know of other discus breeders or exporters that deal primarily Asian bred discus (or Forrest Malaysian discus)? I always try to keep discus of similar origin.

Registered Member

I've also had good luck with somethingphishy.com I recently purch 5 diamond blues and they also have other Asian based strains. Prices are good and the shipping was highly professional and very well packed/insulated with heating pads, Another site is SimplyDiscus.com but they are currently out of stock for the next month or so. Good luck!!