ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Filter question

Registered Member

Default Re: Filter question

I really think people are missing the point here lol. He ALREADY has it. We know it's overkill, we know it's not needed.

To the OP. If you can and want to take it back, great--that would be ideal (for a HOB, smaller canister or FX4) If not, I am guaranteeing you can use it just fine as I mentioned above. I have used one on my 90g which is pretty much the same footprint with only 15g more of water for 4-5 years without a single issue.. with discus, community tanks and African cichlid tanks. Again, if you can return it and it's not a hassle, that's totally up to you. But if not, you can use it just fine. Hell, I've used an eheim 4+ canister beside it for the past 2 or so years, and again.. Not a single issue.

Real Name
    Bill G.

Quote Originally Posted by Shan_Evolved View Post
    Wow franky that setup looks fantastic
    I use two AC 110s in my 75g and two AC 110s in my 60g tank. Each tank also has a sump as well.

Registered Member

I do already have it. I didnt purchase another filter. Its rated for almost 1000 gph but from what I understand by the time you add media and then take into consideration how far it travels to get to tank, its really only about half of what is stated. Thats what I've gathered from a ton of guys like kingofdiy, pondguru, and a bunch others.

Registered Member

For that 75g tank with an Fx6 I would add three sponge filters and a 50 gallon sump. Just to be safe.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by plump View Post
    For that 75g tank with an Fx6 I would add three sponge filters and a 50 gallon sump. Just to be safe.
    Being a smart aleck definitely helps people.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jay

I appreciate strong filtration as well but I would downsize the filter and use the extra cash for more fish or other equipment.

The FX6 definitely won’t hurt but just a bit of overkill.

You could always put a small sponge filter in the tank. If you ever needed to QT a fish you would have a completely cycled filter to add to the QT tank. I know that I'm not the only one here who has shipped an emergency cycled filter to a member in heed.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Bill G.

Another advantage to sumps is that one can put a sponge filter in the sump and pull it out when needed for QT or a hospital tank. Each of my sumps has a sponge filter in it for when the need arises.

Hate to reply to an old topic but I have a FX4 for my 75 and the flow was too much but I did not want to restrict the GPM so I install the flow tamer and it works great. Also the FX filters have a utility valve and when you hard pipe it you can make water changes easy.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=fx+tamer&ref=nb_sb_noss

The tank on the right has the flow tamer as you can see it has a spray bar along the top and a pre filter on the intake. Tank on the left still need the flow tamer.

20211024_163510.jpg

Real Name
    Willie

Discus tanks on hard wood floors - you must be really good with water changes!
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Life proof all vinyl (PVC core)planks best flooring I have ever bought 100% waterproof and look great (Home Depot).
    They are thick planks and holdup to spills and 4 active dogs. I did the whole basement an half of the 1st floor.
    Last edited by Charlyc11; 11-15-2021 at 08:41 PM.

SimplyDiscus Sponsor

Nice Floor Carlos! Thanks for the plug! I use FX6's on 75's all the time with my spray bars, all described options will work. I have alot of customers using my spray bars for Fancy Goldfish and Angels and folks that don't want their plants waving all over the place. A number of customers have been putting FX filters on 55's and turning the spray bar to the rear of the tank, properly angled the surface agitation is excellent and the flow adequately squashed without touching the aquastop valve to turn the filter down. Spray bars give you options contingent on your needs/stock/set-up. I thought l might not sell many bars to folks keeping planted tanks due to C02 being gassed off, but l followed some of their posts on The Planted Tank forum and if you position it properly that doesn't happen and they claimed ferts and CO2 were nicely distributed.

Don't change your floor please, Carlos. Just remember that you have to be very careful with WC. Your fish room is lovely. I like the stand best. I really like the sliding doors on what appears to be a simple rustic design. Now all you need to do is make stands for the tanks on the metal stand.
    Mama Bear

SimplyDiscus Sponsor

I agree with Liz Carlos and l'm jealous of Sean's fish room too! And EVERYTHING about Aquaclear 110's is awesome, l have 4 of them myself!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12