ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Tap water / new tank questions

Registered Member

Question Tap water / new tank questions

Hello! Thank you for reading.

I'm considering starting a discus tank.

My tap water is pH 6.4-6.5 and essentially zero hardness. I understand one way to move my water into a more discus friendly range is by using crushed coral.

Questions:
    1 - Does anyone have experience with crushed coral as a substrate for discus? Any issues with them scratching themselves on the rougher coral surface? Should I just put the stuff into the filter?

2 - From what I've read, crushed coral will improve my water parameters, but will do so slowly. Which makes me wonder if I'll ever get my water into an ideal range for discus (taking into account regular, large volume water changes). Will I always be fighting an uphill battle?

3 - Any other suggestions given what I'm starting with? I'm 100% not interested in setting up a RO/DI system, if the group thinks that is what's necessary I'll just keep guppies or something boring...

I appreciate any input!

Real Name
    Brendan

Default Re: Tap water / new tank questions

Hi and welcome! In theory, if you age your water you could match parameters, including hardness. I’d be putting the crushed coral in the filter, and in the aging tank.

Just my 2c.
    21 Discus, 7 Green Tree Frogs, 3 Eastern Dwarf Tree frogs, 1 Coastal Carpet Python,6 sawshelled/Murray river turtles, 2 dogs, a cat, 2 kids and a wife. Phew...what a mouthful

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Registered Member

Default Re: Tap water / new tank questions

I can't wait to get vaccinated to go to my friend's house and do these kinds of stuff. Vaccines have been rolling out.