ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forum server migration Coming

Exclamation Forum server migration Coming

Hello all,
    Been a while.Hope all is well with everyone.

I am in the middle of migrating the forum's server to a new dedicated server. The server has been bought and its been set up already, once I am through testing it out...it will go live.

Our current server is at end of life and needs to be retired.

You should not experience any problems but if you do please post them here. You never know what will happen when moving as much information as we have stored here at SimplyDiscus.

This will be the first upgrade for the forum in awhile. Once accomplished the team will be working on a major software change..Thats the goal at this point at least, time and funds allowing.

Stay well,
    Al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Shan

Default Re: Forum server migration Coming

Very nice Al. Good luck and hope everything goes smoothly
    Amateur discuskeeper, Professional doofus

As you know I know little to nothing about this stuff. Will this migration give us new photo software? Sure would be nice.
    Mama Bear

Gold Member FischAutoTechGarten's Avatar
    Real Name
    Peter

That's great news Al. Good to hear from you again as well! FWIW, I was surprised by the positive changes over at PlantedTank.net when they migrated their software.... picture management became so much easier and forum participation definitely increased...
    Peter
    Cuerpo en Green Valley, Arizona, USA y Corazón en Alamos, Sonora, Mexico

learning never stops

Registered Member

is it rehosting only, or you are planning to move it out of vBulletin ?

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Hope the migration goes well Al.

For anyone reading this you move the existing software to the new server before making any changes. Once things are stable then you can start making changes.

Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Our migration to a new server was completed this morning. Please let us know in this thread if there are glitches.

We will be working on other necessary upgrades to the forum in the upcoming months as part of our commitment to this community.

Please consider supporting it through the donation link.. click..

DONATE HERE.

Thank you,
    AL
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Looks like we have a minor glitch to fix. ... image uploads. You can insert images using the button.. but cannot upload the images through the management function (under "go advanced") I will get that sorted out shortly,

al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Issue looks resolved.. please try uploading images here....http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...er-test-images

thanks,
    Al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Jake

Al,

I can't begin to tell you how valuable this community is to myself and everyone else. I know how tough it's been the last 6 months for you - yet you still take time out to dedicate to this community. If you ever need any tech help - please feel free to reach out and I'd be happy to volunteer my time. I'm a dedicated part of several tech communities as well, so if there's anything you need help with regarding physical tech such as computers and servers or "soft" tech such as OS support, potential malware issues, etc I will be a PM away.

I'll be donating to help offset some of the costs (as I'm sure there were plenty) soon!

Quote Originally Posted by AquaticNerd View Post
    Al,

I can't begin to tell you how valuable this community is to myself and everyone else. I know how tough it's been the last 6 months for you - yet you still take time out to dedicate to this community. If you ever need any tech help - please feel free to reach out and I'd be happy to volunteer my time. I'm a dedicated part of several tech communities as well, so if there's anything you need help with regarding physical tech such as computers and servers or "soft" tech such as OS support, potential malware issues, etc I will be a PM away.

I'll be donating to help offset some of the costs (as I'm sure there were plenty) soon!
    That is awesome! and much appreciated... I will definitely be in touch!
    al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    That is awesome! and much appreciated... I will definitely be in touch!
    al
    God I love this forum... and as stated once or twice in the past, this is the only Forum on any technology I do (and I'm not 90... but I'm not an addicted social media 41 year old or 9 year old like my wife & oldest son are/were who have recently begun professional counseling due to how bad it became... and I'm a little more tech savvy than I ALWAYS describe I am - yet by no means a SWguru...).

I DO love how this forum has gotten less hostile (by far) than about 8-9 years ago (yet still has those who don't hesitate to immediately provide needed face slaps for any bad "good idea trains" in order to maintain quality!). But I honestly believe the U.S. discus market has noticeably shrunk (even before losing Kenny's amazing soul). I love our non-U.S. discus brethren on here but I'm a firm believer (and hate tooting own horn... but experienced business capture manager in different industry with even two $1B+ captures that somehow my dumb... yet persistent... a$$ accomplished) that Simplydiscus is a ("the") high quality communications channel for U.S. discus market that by simply (no pun intended... yes, I had a few glasses of wine again) can grow the U.S. discus market (in-turn, improving the markets of many Asian, specific European, and now possibly the Australian markets of which are arguably ahead well of U.S. in terms of quality, size, etc) by all members sharing even more information (ESPECIALLY lessons learned... aka: "failures). I love having a guilty pleasure in a small, niche market but it's gotten TOO small the past 5 or so years. Share your info, help if you have skills in SW that you can share with Al & our awesome mods if it's easy to do over a glass of wine or fireball shot, and then watch how the discus market will even grow knowledge and traction in a short amount of time (1-3 years with little effort from even 25% of registered SD members my minimal assumption... and ask me for metrics and I'll be happy to nerd out and share :P).

THANKS AL! And everyone else for making this form great. And yes, this wouldn't be my first or last post where many are tempted to reply that I need to cut myself off :P. I just wish more of you would post while slightly buzzed ... makes it more entertaining the next day when you like to see what the accurate and slap yourself in the face while laughing at the same time.
    -Elliot

Elliot please do save a bottle or two or three of red for when I eventually stop by there once this pandemic is over. I would greatly appreciate a face to face chat over some vino my friend.

al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Al, you know darn well I'd love that

I'll have several bottles of merlot and cab on-hand (and yes, since I'm a honorary, transplanted redneck... I'll have some fireball as well )
    -Elliot

SimplyDiscus Sponsor Winnie's Discus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Hello all,
    Been a while.Hope all is well with everyone.

I am in the middle of migrating the forum's server to a new dedicated server. The server has been bought and its been set up already, once I am through testing it out...it will go live.

Our current server is at end of life and needs to be retired.

You should not experience any problems but if you do please post them here. You never know what will happen when moving as much information as we have stored here at SimplyDiscus.

This will be the first upgrade for the forum in awhile. Once accomplished the team will be working on a major software change..Thats the goal at this point at least, time and funds allowing.

Stay well,
    Al
    Server migration is a lot of work Al, thank you for always keeping the Forum in great shape. If there is a way I can help, don't hesitate to ask please.
    In the mean time, I'd like to inform you that I could not insert an image or image link to the new thread I wanted to post this morning. I tried to insert the screenshot of the problem here but the Forum is not allowing me to on this thread as well. For both attempts, I get a message says "You don't have the permission to perform this action. Refresh the page and log in before trying again." Did it several times but it didn't help. Just wanted to let you know. I already shared the screenshot and the problem with Pat. I hope it is a temporary and easy to fix trouble.
    Ceyhun @ WinniesDiscus.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast