AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Daniel's First Discus Tank

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Daniel

Default Re: Daniel's First Discus Tank

Thanks Andy.

Something is going on in my tank. I now have three fish that are hiding, have gone a bit dark, and one of them occasionally darts around the tank.

I will move the three of them to a quarantine tank, but I don't know yet what I'm dealing with so I'm not sure what, if any, treatment to apply. I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Daniel

I lost two more fish overnight. They both started darting around the tank occasionally, and hiding. I moved them to a quarantine tank, and in the absence of any actual diagnosis, treated them with API General Cure. Unsuccessfully. Two other fish had started doing the hiding thing, so I moved them into the QT as well. Both of them seem to be fine this morning, but neither of them had the darting behavior of the first two. I've got another fish in my main tank that is also hiding, so I will probably move him to QT as well.

Real Name
    Tom

Ok what is your routine with these discus? How often are you water changing and how much and what are you feedin?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Daniel

I change 50% of their water daily. They are in a 75 gallon bare bottom tank. Ammonia, Nitrite both 0, Nitrate is always less than 5 ppm. pH has been steady at 8.

Their primary food is the Cobalt Discus Hans flake, which they eat voraciously. I also give them frozen beef heart, the brand is San Francisco Bay. They eat that as well, but they leave about half the cube behind.

Real Name
    Tom

All good! I’m almost wondering could it be a cross contamination? The second set weren’t quarantined? I know they came from the same place but something got in there. Maybe more to cc. Like the old fish had a head start in the tank and adjusted to your water together but the new guy as they adjust to your water also have to deal with the existing discus and the stress could be to much. The first guy you showed looked like stress. Can you put up some pics of the other sick guys?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Daniel

They look fine until all the sudden they dart around the tank at high speed and collide into things. No fin clamping, no going dark. They're in QT with no lights right now, so pics will be challenging. It's also been a mix of the first batch and new batch that have died.

What's disturbing to me is it seems to be spreading, which is why I am treating it with General Cure.

Real Name
    Tom

All good! I’m almost wondering could it be a cross contamination? The second set weren’t quarantined? I know they came from the same place but something got in there. Maybe more to cc. Like the old fish had a head start in the tank and adjusted to your water together but the new guy as they adjust to your water also have to deal with the existing discus and the stress could be to much. The first guy you showed looked like stress. Can you put up some pics of the other sick guys?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Daniel

Cross contamination is certainly possible. I set up a QT and moved a total of 6 fish into it. 2 didn't make it, the remaining 4 seem to be doing well. I never had more than 4 fish in the QT at any one time.

After I had 4 in the QT, another fish in my main tank started darting around, so I just gave up and medicated the main tank too. It's a day behind the QT.

Both tanks have no lights on them at the moment, and I've reduced feeding quite a bit to prevent any feeding aggression until everyone seems like they're doing better.

So far, the remaining 10 fish seem to be doing well, no more zooming around the tank and crashing into the side. One in my main tank is still hiding, though it's not dark nor is it clamping its fins. Here's the best pic I could get.

IMG_1049.jpg

Overall, I'm cautiously optimistic that the worst is past, and that I'll come out of this with all of the remaining 10.

Real Name
    Tom

What I you treating with?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Daniel

API General Cure

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Daniel

Well, it's been a while since I updated this thread. What ended up happening over the ensuing months is that every fish but one died. They all went the same way. They would start darting around the tank or darting in a circle, crash into something, and then die a day or so later. Whatever it was definitely spread between all the fish, as I would lose one or two a week. I am now left with one fish, who has survived all the disease, but is now on his own and probably a little stressed out. I sterilized my 75 gallon tank and all the equipment in it, and am nearing the end of cycling it again. I will try one more time with discus, so I will be ordering some more probably after Christmas. I'm also in process on the stand for the 210 gallon tank I have waiting. It's cold here though, so gluing and finishing will be a challenge.

As for me, the treatment I'm on has been stunningly successful, and I am now No Evidence of Disease, the best a person with Stage IV cancer can hope for.

Damn Daniel. Why didn't you tell us? Listen, the death of the fish is nothing compared to not being able to try again because you're dead. I'm overjoyed over your great news. I'm old and have a bad diagnosis but I do my best to take all the joy I can from every day I have left.

Let us know when the new fish arrive. Pics, videos and lots of text to read, please.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Daniel

Thanks Liz. I let this thread languish mostly because I forgot about it for a little while as I dealt with all the sh*t I had to deal with regarding my health. But all is good for now, the treatment has been very successful. Though, in the words of my oncologist, cancer is the type of thing that likes to come back.

I will update this thread when the fish arrive.

Real Name
    Tom

So good to hear about your health! Hoping it can’t find its way back!

Strange what happened to your discus. Sounds like whirling disease. But I’ve never heard of it going from one fish to the next. Could it have been a Parasite of some type? Or could it have been something in the tank leaching into the water? Do you have a uv sterilizer in the tank? Are there other fish in the tank now?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Daniel

Thanks Tom. That is our hope too.

It looked a lot like whirling disease, except for it spread. My best guess was a parasite, but I treated with Metro and Prazi with no success.

The tank got sterilized and I'm using different filtration. Right now it's empty and in the process of cycling.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast