Cafepress Store     AquaticSuppliers.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Daniel's First Discus Tank

iTrader
    Real Name
    Shan

Default Re: Daniel's First Discus Tank

I do a water change on mine when Nitrates get above what I can read. And I only change 50%. Since I started cycling some 4 weeks ago I've only done 3 water changes to be honest.

Some things important to note during fishless cycling -

1) Do not add more ammonia until your Ammonia AND Nitrites are 0 or near 0. Adding in more Ammonia will not let the Nitrate colony build fast enough to keep up leading to too much nitrite. I saw a speech by some doc I think it was Novahek (sorry spelling) that talked about nitrate bacteria taking double the time to multiple than nitrite ones.

2) Check your KH levels (not just your PH.) Your water NEEDS at least 2-4KH for the cycle to establish a cycle. Going through high ppms of ammonia and nitrite use up a lot of the alkalinity or something. PH will drop as KH drops and that can lead to PH crash as well as cycling stall.

I'm not sure how high nitrates can be before it becomes troublesome but I personally don't like doing 100% water changes - - takes too long so I just do 50% when needed to make nitrates legible on the chart. I will do 2x 50% the day before my fish go into the water
    Amateur discuskeeper, Professional doofus

Silver Member
    iTrader
    Real Name
    Daniel

Thanks, I appreciate the info. I'll check KH this morning to make sure it hasn't dropped too far. Water from the tap has a KH of 7, so hopefully I'm still OK.

My long term plan is to be able to do 50% water changes (hence the 40G holding tank for the 75G) daily. And I'll wait til ammonia and nitrites drop to 0 before adding any more ammonia. The Dr Tim plan I was following had me adding ammonia on Day 1, Day 3 and Day 6, which I did. I've tried to keep the overall ammonia under 4 ppm, so I didn't add as much as they suggested. Their plan also calls for adding the fish on Day 9, so I think I'll just throw out the plan and go with the Shan 2 step plan above.

iTrader
    Real Name
    Shan

Every tank, every bio load, every bacteria is different.

I dislike plans that estimate how long it would take or how often you should put ammonia or other time based plans into effect.

The goal is to get Ammonia and Nitrites to 0 with 24h no matter the length it takes. Put 4ppm ammonia, put some seeded material, some surface area for the bacteria to grow on, and then wait for all of that to turn into nitrates. After that just keep adding ammonia until that process becomes 24h.
    Amateur discuskeeper, Professional doofus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12