AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: very sick discus

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kent

Default very sick discus

Hello, I'm new to Simply Discus. Glad I found you. I have a very sick discus. I'm positive it has an advanced internal infection. Very bloated, white poop, bulging eyes. I've done the Epsom salt, no help. Now I'm on 3rd day of General Trio powder. Water temp is 87 degrees, PH 6.9, all other parameters good. Can this fish be saved from it's advanced condition? I can't get photo to load. Thanks Ksermie

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re: very sick discus

Welcome to Simply Discus! Sorry for your problems. Can you post a photo of this discus?

First off, I would lower the temp to 81-82. Higher temps promote bacteria. General Trio powder has some good meds in it and is a good med, but it's also why I prefer using targeted meds. If this is an internal infection, as I suspect, nitrofurizone is for external issues. Kanamycin alone is recommended for internal.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kent

Thanks for the info. I couldn't get a photo to load.

Real Name
    Brian

It's probably too large. I always email the photo to myself and the email program automatically resizes them. You can email to me and I can post if you still have problems. bhwilhite@yahoo.com

Real Name
    Brian

Unfortunately, this one has a bad internal infection and looks pretty bad off. Once the infection spreads this deep then I doubt there's anything that can be done to save it.

If you want to try to save it then I would continue with the General Trio as directed. If you want to euthanize then clove oil is a humane way.

Sorry for the bad news...

sick.jpg

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kent

I've not encountered the issues that I've had with this group before. I've been learning a lot and wish I'd have found you days ago. I'm not giving up, misplaced hope, maybe.
    Was a struggle to diagnose on my own since I hadn't experienced this condition. Thank You so much. ksermie

Real Name
    Brian

Good luck and let us know how it goes. And feel free to ask any questions you may have in the future...

I'm moving this to the disease forum so you can look there if you want to update...

IME once the fish has bloated and not responded to Epsom salt treatment further treatment with antibiotics is futile. I'm sorry.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kent

Update: My poor buddy didn't make it. So moving forward what's your advice. I have 3 discus left in this tank. They did have the white poop without the bloat. I haven't seen the mucus for 24 hours. Water change this evening again? Last water change yesterday evening. More Trio Powder? I don't have pure Kanamycin. I am dropping the temp to 82. I lost 4 beautiful fish, my worst ever, you have all been here, I feel. Any thoughts?
    Another question, how do I start a new thread? thanks
    Last edited by Ksermie; 04-10-2021 at 06:01 PM.

Real Name
    Shan

The more information about your stuff the better. Theres a questionare you can fill out that will help us help you. Pictures and videos of your whole tank will help too
    Amateur discuskeeper, Professional doofus

Real Name
    Brian

Shan is correct. We'd like to know more about the entire setup. Please fill out the questionnaire and paste it back here http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...lease-complete

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kent

none of what you're asking me to do is working! I'm 59 years old this should be more user friendly!! Nothing but frustration!

Real Name
    Brendan

Quote Originally Posted by Ksermie View Post
    none of what you're asking me to do is working! I'm 59 years old this should be more user friendly!! Nothing but frustration!
    Please complete this questionnaire if your fish are sick (copy and paste). The more details you can provide, the better we are able to diagnose and help you treat your sick fish.

DISEASE QUESTIONNAIRE

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.

8. What type/brand water conditioner do you use? Do you add it to the tank or aging barrel? How much do you use?

9. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp _____

- ph _____

- ammonia reading ____

- nitrite reading ____

- nitrate reading ____

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____

- municipal water ____

- RO water ____

10. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.

11. Please tell us what you feed your fish and how often. This can be critical information for solving the problem so be as specific as you can.

12. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.
    Last edited by jeep; 07-09-2019 at 02:34 AM.
    21 Discus, 7 Green Tree Frogs, 3 Eastern Dwarf Tree frogs, 1 Coastal Carpet Python,6 sawshelled/Murray river turtles, 2 dogs, a cat, 2 kids and a wife. Phew...what a mouthful

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Kent

DISEASE QUESTIONNAIRE

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?

Major intestinal problems. 7 new discus arrived on March 24. Everything was great. I had to leave town March 29 for the whole week. Returned home April 2. The following day, they were showing sluggishness. After water testing, had an ammonia spike. Did water change and a media reactor with zeolite. Corrected the problem quickly. That Monday, 2 of the 7 were bloated. I treated with Epsom salt for 2 days with no improvement. They also developed white poop so I went in a different direction and started treatment with Bactocide #1 for 2 days with no positive results. The first loss was that Tuesday. After some research, I did a big water change, roughly 40-50%, and started a general trio treatment. I started that on April 8 and the last treatment was April 10, lost another fish. The remaining 3 have no bloat and haven't seen white poop for 24 hours.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).

Bloating, excess slime, not eating, darting, white poop, hanging out at top of tank

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.

First it was Epsom salt, Bactocide #1, aquarium salt, general trio

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.

90 gallon tank. It's been up and running since 2005. Currently 3 five-inch discus, 4 pleco 2 inch, 4 pearl gourami's 3 inches, 4 quarry cats, 6 cardinal tetras, 7 shiner minnows 2 inch

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).
    Since they got sick, it's been every other day. Normally when they are healthy, I do a water change once per week (25-30%).

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?

Since 2005. Not bare bottom. 3 inches of coarse sand.

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.
    No. I monitor PH closely. range is always 6.5-7.2

8. What type/brand water conditioner do you use? Do you add it to the tank or aging barrel? How much do you use?

Seachem Prime. I add it to the tank- half the recommended dose.

9. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp __82___

- ph _6.9
    - ammonia reading 0____

- nitrite reading _0___

- nitrate reading _0___

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____

- municipal water _100%___

- RO water ____

10. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.
    7 new discus

11. Please tell us what you feed your fish and how often. This can be critical information for solving the problem so be as specific as you can.

Frozen blood worms and brine shrimp. Freeze dried blood worms. Kens color flakes. Tropical discus granules D-50 Plus. Hikari sinking carnivore pellets.

12. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.
    file:///C:/Users/sermie/Downloads/IMG-0172%20(1).jpg
    Last edited by Ksermie; 04-10-2021 at 10:15 PM.

Real Name
    Francis

Your new 7 discus , did you quarantine them b4 adding them to the main tank. If not could be cross contamination.
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast