ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 655 Gallon Tank Build- welcoming any input

Registered Member

Lightbulb 655 Gallon Tank Build- welcoming any input

Hello! I'll start by thanking some of you for your help a few months ago on a thread I started about how to build out a large tank- http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...0-gallon-setup

I ultimately decided to bring in the pros, but will be working closely with them to tailor my new tank for discus. So I thought I would start a thread to show the progress. I just signed the contract so we are in the early stages, but it should be complete in 4-5 months. This is what we have planned and discussed so far...

IMG_0198.jpg

** the objects to the side are two large amethysts that will flank the tank.

The 42" tall acrylic tank will sit on a 36" tall steel stand (cabinetry to follow) with a 12" hood. Tank will be 30" deep and 120" wide. All life support systems will be under the tank although I would not be surprised if we put an underground tank outside for water changes. Also exploring the idea of setting up a drip system to add 65 gallons of water a day to essentially turn the tank over 100% every 10 days- automatically. This was something I saw somewhere on this forum. LSS will also include a wet dry filter, uv filter, and an in-line heater.

Lighting will be 3 LED lights from Kessil and the tank will also be fully aquascaped including some kind of background from Aquadecor. Thinking something like this with some white sand to brighten it up a bit.

IMG_0050.JPG

I'm also setting up a call with the builder and Gabriel from Jack Wattley discus to get his input on the best features/ designs for the happy discus tank.

One thing I am particularly curious about... the water I'll have either dripping into the tank or going into my submerged tank for water changes; I've seen RO units used for discus, but I know enough to know discus like trace minerals in there. So the builder and I discussed that or just getting a water softener to strip the chlorine out. Any input appreciated and I am looking forward to sharing more!

Registered Member

Default Re: 655 Gallon Tank Build- welcoming any input

My acrylic tank is 36 inches deep and its not easy to vacuum or rearrange things. 42 inches wont be any easier.

Registered Member

Good point CaptainAndy. Is there any particular reason I would need to rearrange things? I have previously kept an 890 gallon tank (only for about a year) and was able to get by with using a particularly long python gravel cleaner, keeping the bio load relatively low and frequent water changes. I am not sure about dimensions, but it was an acrylic cylinder. If I had to guess the tank itself was over 6 feet tall.

Registered Member

Didn't suggest not to do it. Just something to think about.
    With discus, you have to be prepared to be hands on at any moment. Even with the most stable discus aquarium. In my experience, the python is not easy to work with in deep tanks and I often need to use a ladder.
    I have a white sand bed with a few plants on driftwood and lots pleco caves. I vacuum almost daily because I hate the sight of poop on the white sand.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by captainandy View Post
    Didn't suggest not to do it. Just something to think about.
    With discus, you have to be prepared to be hands on at any moment. Even with the most stable discus aquarium. In my experience, the python is not easy to work with in deep tanks and I often need to use a ladder.
    I have a white sand bed with a few plants on driftwood and lots pleco caves. I vacuum almost daily because I hate the sight of poop on the white sand.
    Ok good to know! What do you use for a vacuum? And you’re right about the ladder. I was using a 10 foot with that python.

Real Name
    Shan

With a heavy hitting supertank, you can always get a pump to pretty much do the siphoning for you. use a 1-2" pvc, cut it to 36", get some fittings and a tube attached to it, connect it to your water transfer pump, and go ham. Easy siphoning with a tank that big.

I would be wary of drip systems though. Maybe still do 1 large water change a week on top of drip system?
    Amateur discuskeeper, Professional doofus

Real Name
    Tom

That’s a huge tank! Other than your fathers tank have you kept fish before? What’s up with your tap water? Are you just removing chlorine? Have you tested your tap water out of the tap and than after letting it sit for 24hrs? Test for everything. Ammonia,nitrite,nitrate,ph,gh and kh. Than come back with the results. I think your on track with your 10 days for 100% turn over. But with a tank that big you may not need to do that.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shan_Evolved View Post
    With a heavy hitting supertank, you can always get a pump to pretty much do the siphoning for you. use a 1-2" pvc, cut it to 36", get some fittings and a tube attached to it, connect it to your water transfer pump, and go ham. Easy siphoning with a tank that big.

I would be wary of drip systems though. Maybe still do 1 large water change a week on top of drip system?
    I like the drip system idea as a way to delay water changes. But your right- it’s no way to avoid them. I read a couple more posts on here and one thread in particular gave a lot of info. I’ll keep you posted.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    That’s a huge tank! Other than your fathers tank have you kept fish before? What’s up with your tap water? Are you just removing chlorine? Have you tested your tap water out of the tap and than after letting it sit for 24hrs? Test for everything. Ammonia,nitrite,nitrate,ph,gh and kh. Than come back with the results. I think your on track with your 10 days for 100% turn over. But with a tank that big you may not need to do that.
    After reading several threads since I made this post- this is exactly what I need to do next- check my own water. I’ll be doing that this week. Also read more on drip systems. Makes sense that you get diminishing returns are more “drip water” may be going right back out the drain. So I’ll probably shoot for closer to 1000 gallons per week.

Real Name
    Brendan

Agree with Shan, a transfer pump is a good idea for siphoning. Also, I drilled a 50mm bulkhead with ball valve down low in my tank, for fast and easy water changes, I would highly recommend this.
    21 Discus, 7 Green Tree Frogs, 3 Eastern Dwarf Tree frogs, 1 Coastal Carpet Python,6 sawshelled/Murray river turtles, 2 dogs, a cat, 2 kids and a wife. Phew...what a mouthful

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrendanJ23 View Post
    Agree with Shan, a transfer pump is a good idea for siphoning. Also, I drilled a 50mm bulkhead with ball valve down low in my tank, for fast and easy water changes, I would highly recommend this.
    After you and Shan mentioned it, i think I misread his post the first time around. Makes perfect sense. With a powerful transfer pump siphoning everything, how do you avoid pulling up substrate? I’ll probably use sand. Cover the pvc with a pipe? Is this is much better way to go over something like a python?

Real Name
    Brendan

Quote Originally Posted by jhm119 View Post
    After you and Shan mentioned it, i think I misread his post the first time around. Makes perfect sense. With a powerful transfer pump siphoning everything, how do you avoid pulling up substrate? I’ll probably use sand. Cover the pvc with a pipe? Is this is much better way to go over something like a python?
    Ah that could be a problem. I’ve only ever used it on bare bottom tanks.
    21 Discus, 7 Green Tree Frogs, 3 Eastern Dwarf Tree frogs, 1 Coastal Carpet Python,6 sawshelled/Murray river turtles, 2 dogs, a cat, 2 kids and a wife. Phew...what a mouthful

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Real Name
    Shan

You don't need a powerful pump. Weak ones work too

Registered Member

Default Tank specs and equipment list

I’ve got my equipment list and renderings of the tank and stand. One thing I learned that shocked me. The interior dimensions vs exterior dimensions, while only different by a few inches, made a 100 gallon difference! So I’m looking at a 550 gallon tank for actual volume.

My gut reaction on the equipment list is that the pump is not strong enough. At 8 feet it would pump about 1800gph but my builder has 2 of them listed- perhaps it is enough. Based on past experience I was shooting for 6-8x per hour turnover rate. I’ll know more after I talk to him and my local discus expert. The 3rd pump listed goes into a 300 gal tank that I’ll bury outside for water changes. Thinking I’ll upgrade the heater to a nicer model from the same company and add one more so I can preheat my buried tank before water changes. UV Light with ozone looks pretty cool and the wet dry looks big enough. Getting excited!

4F9E87E7-C03D-466C-9C68-115D264C9489.jpeg
    AA2EA378-7EFA-4374-8FC9-4FCF715FA388.jpg
    148954F9-1BA1-4C6C-B4C6-33A42B9E65AB.jpg

Real Name
    Shan

Good build so far. Looking forward to more

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast