ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Sick Juvenile Blue Diamonds

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Tom Bridge

Default Sick Juvenile Blue Diamonds

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?
    Purchased two new fish (2.5”) a week ago. They are in a 10gal BB QT tank. They did not look healthy (torn fins, patches on bodies, skinny) and did not eat for first 3 days. Patches on body so I started Rid-Ich Plus on day one. I also treated with PolyGuard for a couple of doses. Fish began to eat FBW only on day 5, but now look worse than when I received them. Lots of darting, bodies are covered with something.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).
    Fish have turned dark, and are darting. I see white patches on bodies and torn fins are not healing.

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.
    Days 1, 2, 4, 6 treated with 5ml/10G Rid-Ich Plus. Raised temp to 88F on day 3. Treated with PloyGuard (one level scoop) on days 2 and 4. Added 1 TBS sea salt on day 6. Treated with 250mg KanaPlex on day 6.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.
    10 gallon BB QT tank. Two juvenile blue diamond discus, 2 coreys (1/2’), and 1 oto (3/4”).

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).
    30-50% daily. I skipped a few days after I treated with PolyGuard, but chemistry was monitored and was fine.

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?
    Tank has been running for 10 days, but HOB was seeded with filter material from my 75g tank. Also running a sponge filter for extra aeration since I turned the temp up (88F) on day 3. This is a BB tank.

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.
    I do not age my water

8. What type/brand water conditioner do you use? Do you add it to the tank or aging barrel? How much do you use?
    Hagen/Fluval Aqua Plus per instructions; added to tap water before it goes into tank.

9. Parameters and water source;
    Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp __88___

- ph _7.6____
    - ammonia reading __0__

- nitrite reading __0__

- nitrate reading __5__

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____

- municipal water _X___

- RO water ____

10. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.
    This QT tank was set up specifically for these new discus. Added coreys and oto on day 5.

11. Please tell us what you feed your fish and how often. This can be critical information for solving the problem so be as specific as you can.
    The only food these fish will eat are FBW. They nibble on beef heart flake food, but will not eat fresh BH mix.

12. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Brendan

Default Re: Sick Juvenile Blue Diamonds

Hi mate and welcome, sorry to hear about the fish.

I would remove all other fish and just keep the discus in there. I recommend 2x daily 50% wcs with minimum 3 TBSP salt/10g of water. I’d hold off on meds , make sure water is well aerated too.
    21 Discus, 7 Green Tree Frogs, 3 Eastern Dwarf Tree frogs, 1 Coastal Carpet Python,6 sawshelled/Murray river turtles, 2 dogs, a cat, 2 kids and a wife. Phew...what a mouthful

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Real Name
    Shan

Seems like youre doing a lot of good things. Sorry about your fish.

I agree with Brenden. Clean water and Salt treatment for 10 days. Lay off the meds and give them time to adjust. If they are still eating that is a good sign at least
    Amateur discuskeeper, Professional doofus

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Tom Bridge

Thanks Brendan and Shan. The fish are looking much better! They have regained their color, are eating, and acting like happy juvenile discus! I will continue salt treatment x 10 days total.

Real Name
    Shan

Would love to see pics
    Amateur discuskeeper, Professional doofus

Real Name
    Brian

Good advice here!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Tom Bridge