ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Sick discus

Registered Member

Default Sick discus

DISEASE QUESTIONNAIRE

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?

About 3 days ago, fish had same symptoms 10 days ago. Treated and seemed fine.
    Fish swims around normally and eats a bit but mostly only bloodworms.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).

Very dark with slime issues and skin lesions. Also fin rot.

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.

Round of kanaplex. Fish appeared to be healthier but has declined again as of 3 days ago.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.
    3 inch juvie discus in 10 gallon QT.

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).
    50% daily.

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?
    Main tank running for several months. Was in 55 gallon (white sand substrate about 1 inch or so deep) with 3 other discus. All arrived at same time. Tank was cycled with 5 Ram cichlids for quite a while.

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.
    I do not age my water. No ph swing between sink and tank.

8. What type/brand water conditioner do you use? Do you add it to the tank or aging barrel? How much do you use?
    Prime and stress guard as per bottle directions

9. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp __88___

- ph __8.3___

- ammonia reading ___0_

- nitrite reading __0__

- nitrate reading _10___

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water __x__

- municipal water ____

- RO water ____

10. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.
    No

11. Please tell us what you feed your fish and how often. This can be critical information for solving the problem so be as specific as you can.
    Frozen beefheart 4x week
    Frozen bloodworms 4x week
    Frozen mysis shrimp omnivore mix 4 to 5x week
    Freeze dried brine shrimp 2x week
    Daily discus flakes

12. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.
    Have attempted many times. Unabble to upload photo

Registered Member

Default Re: Sick discus

Hi Kristen,

From the questionnaire, I can't really see what might be the cause of the problem. The pH of 8.3 may be on the high side for that particular fish though I think that members here have kept fish in that range before.

You have done well by removing the fish to it's own hospital tank where you can treat it and remove any social stress.

See Ksermie's thread on a "Very Sick Discus." Brian outlines the use of salt which might be your best bet, a little salt, pristine water and some rest. Once they go dark, it is an uphill battle. The hospital tank is your best bet.

Beat of Luck,
    I hope he/she pulls through for you,
    Andy

Registered Member

The salt treatment is in the thread on the sick Juvenile Blue Diamonds as well.

" I recommend 2x daily 50% wcs with minimum 3 TBSP salt/10g of water. I’d hold off on meds , make sure water is well aerated too."

Good Luck,
    Andy

Please, be careful of pH swings in any water changes. They can make matters worse.

Registered Member

He is worsening. Top half of body white film and eyes going cloudy.

Real Name
    Tom

Since it’s black with the slime coat showing wouldn’t that say bacterial? If so try rid-ich plus. Next lower the temp to 82. Keep adding salt. This just worked for me with a major cross contamination.

Registered Member

Temp in QT is at 82.5. I will try my ich meds. (Super ich cure).

Real Name
    Tom

Sorry these ich meds use different stuff. So I don’t know if your stuff will work. The rid-ich contains formaldehyde 4.26% (11.52% formalin) and zinc-free chloride salt of malachite green.