AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: From BBS to frozen

Registered Member

Default From BBS to frozen

Hello everyone, I've been growing fry from two different spawns for about a month now. I've fed some egg yolk mix, sera micron and extremely fine grinded mix of dry food.

Fry got bigger to the point they can actually eat regular frozen brine shrimp, at least it fits in their mouth and they eat some, they swim around, eat and spit out some and they finally eat them. So I've tried to feed them frozen brine shrimp, blood worms that I cut in smaller pieces and heart based frozen food.

But I can tell they are not at all excited about frozen food.

I've this idea that frozen food or at least give them a variety of food as soon as possible is better for them. But what is your experience in this regard? Should I just stick for now to BBS and the dry grinded food they seem to love.

Thank you

Registered Member

Default Re: From BBS to frozen

I feed them as many different types of food so them don't get picky, as for the BBS it has little value after hatching so some breeders add Selcon.
    If your fry are 3/4" at four weeks they are on track.

Cliff

Real Name
    Willie

Building on what Cliff said, BBS really does not support growth in fry after 2 - 3 weeks. You should wean them onto dry food as soon as you can to get big fat discus. I've gotten fry to eat minced frozen beefheart as early as 11 days free swimming.

For all the focus on BBS, I see it as a nice-to-have. Wild discus fry do not need BBS to survive and thrive. But they do need protein to develop from little footballs into round fish, so getting them moved from BBS to high protein food is critical.
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member

Thank you Cliff and Willie, so no more BBS... I feel the same way as the day my kids stopped wearing diapers. I'll try frozen food in the morning see if they get use to it little by little. Thank you again.