ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: New Member. New set up. Help!?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Nicholas

Default New Member. New set up. Help!?

I've recently come across a good deal on a Osaka Fluvial 90 with a fx6 filter.
    So I guess I'm getting back into Discus. its been about 15 years, and I'm thinking I should try to keep things a little more basic this time around.

my questions are?

Plants no plants? (had lots of plats last time but it was a tall tank and a pain.)

If so then substrate. ?? also if no plants do I even go with any substrate?

I'm planning on getting the drift wood. any one know of a good cost effective source in Canada?

Also I'm from The bc interior and would like to try to find a good source of discus once I'm set up.
    any breeders' in BC?

actually there are probably a lot more questions tbh.

But if you could go back and start over how would you "set up"?

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Default Re: New Member. New set up. Help!?

I would suggest bare bottom, no plants to begin with, hard scape is fine so long as you can meticulously clean around your wood pieces.

Real Name
    Tom

Yes bare bottom. If you’d like to try plants wait till your tank is up and running and your discus in it for a while. Add plants in planters. You’ll need a good heater. I’m now using finnex titanium and hygger. Both have the colrrols outside the tank. Also inkbird controllers so heater breakdowns won’t be critical. Read as much as you can on this forum. Know your water and know how to test it. That’s a great filter. Is it coming with media?

Real Name
    Willie

What's your set up to make water changes? How much and how often?
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Nicholas

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    Yes bare bottom. If you’d like to try plants wait till your tank is up and running and your discus in it for a while. Add plants in planters. You’ll need a good heater. I’m now using finnex titanium and hygger. Both have the colrrols outside the tank. Also inkbird controllers so heater breakdowns won’t be critical. Read as much as you can on this forum. Know your water and know how to test it. That’s a great filter. Is it coming with media?
    Sounds like the filter is in use and is coming already set. Contemplating. Starting fresh. I used to use peat in my old filter. Not sure if I'm gonna go that route. Thoughts?

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Nicholas

Probably just 25-50% tap. My town has one of the most advanced treatment plants in the interior so it's pretty decent with low chlorine levels. I'll see how it goes before I dump money into a reverse osmosis filter . Once a week would be ideal for water changes. I do work alot of odd shifts so daily changes aren't for this guy. So maybe some substrate and plants for longer lasting water quality?

Real Name
    Tom

Substrate and plants will only make it worse. The fish waste sits in the substrate and get stuck n the plants. Planted tanks for discus need more work. You will be doing vacume water changes cleaning out the substrate with every water change.

Real Name
    Mervin

Sounds like from your maintenance plans that they will be adult discus. I've gotten discus from Rick a few times in BC.http://stores.canadianaquafarm.com/

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Nicholas

Umm . Might just me be me but there seams to be no place on that site to actually order discus? am I crazy. Yes. but that's no the point.
    Rick; If your out there please send me fish!

Real Name
    Francis

Contact Rick Grange on his Facebook page......I heard he is taking preorders for his May shipment.

Quote Originally Posted by NicMe View Post
    Umm . Might just me be me but there seams to be no place on that site to actually order discus? am I crazy. Yes. but that's no the point.
    Rick; If your out there please send me fish!
    Last edited by seanyuki; 04-24-2021 at 02:00 AM.
    Grasshopper
    Francis