ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: John’s Planted Discus

Default Re: John’s Planted Discus

So I'm a couple of weeks in. Fish are feeding with gusto now after taking the best part of a week to really get going. Main food is Goodheart 3 times a day now and on occasion some blackworm flake or FDBW cube. All of which they feed on well.

Will pop a picture or two up later but my lights are quite blue so not the best. I really need to invest in some better tubes.

Real Name
    Tom

I’d say invest in led and get away from tubes. No idea what’s sold over there but some good lights at cheap prices here are the Hygger 957 led lights and the vivagrow 24/7. You can get them here at 48” shipped for under a $100.

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    I’d say invest in led and get away from tubes. No idea what’s sold over there but some good lights at cheap prices here are the Hygger 957 led lights and the vivagrow 24/7. You can get them here at 48” shipped for under a $100.
    It's a good shout it's just the fact I had the 3ft T5 unit already so thought I would put it to use. The Nicrew units on Amazon looks worth a shot so will likely switch over to those in time. As it's just the grow out and looks ok on the eye I've other things to do before that. I'm thinking of adding another grow out below instead of WC tank so I can get some more juivies going.
    Last edited by johnlfc; 06-01-2021 at 09:33 AM.

Not great but gives an idea and should be good for me to look back on in time to come.

20210601_142437.jpg

20210601_142445.jpg

Feeding 6 times a day. Goodheart x 3, BWFlake x 2 AFDBW x 1.

I am having to do daily 50% or possibly slightly more water changes at the minute to keep nutrient levels in check. I will continue like this and keep testing to determine my WC schedule. I'm certainly not able to rely on a weekly change as my filtration is just not good enough.

Real Name
    Tom

It’s not just filtration. Even with the best filtration they still get so much out of new water.

Managed to get a shot of the gang altogether. Starting to seem some growth and colour now (admittedly not easy to see on picture)

280B0E1E-4FA2-43C7-B95D-07C73296D8F2.jpg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12