AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: I have to move, hope someone kindly take my 5-6 in. Male Discus and Cure him.

Registered Member

Default I have to move, hope someone kindly take my 5-6 in. Male Discus and Cure him.

Hi there,

I got a 5-6 inches Male Discus, that got a hole in his top fin (rotted Fin?), I hope someone will be kind enough to take him, the 20 gallon tank, Aqueon Heater, Tetra Whisper Filter and the Foam Filter and cure him, he has to be in his own tank, or he will make other Discus sick.

I have treated him twice, even bought Furan 2 from the States, he got better, the hole on the fin closed off and disappear, but once the medication stop, it goes back to the way he is now.

They were a pair before, the female laid eggs, but she ate them all, he got mad and attacked her non-stop, won't let her eat any food I put in, she became so thin like a piece of paper and died.

Now he is by himself in the tank, I have raised the temperature to 89.6 F or when it is not so cold outside, it is up to 90.2 F. He has to be in high heat, as every time when I tried to lower the temperature 1/2 degree each day, by the time it reached 85, he will get really sick, won't eat at all.

My husband got stage 4 Lung Cancer and passed away last May, I have to sell my house and move to a Condo as I can no longer maintain the house anymore, the Condo is very small, I cannot take him with me as there is hardly any room to put my stuff, already donate 30 bags/box of stuff to Salvation Army.

I posted it here as I know people here love Discus, I do not want to post on Kjiji, as I am afraid someone might take him, dump him and just take the tank, the heater and filter to sell. I really hope someone here who knows about Discus will be kind enough to give him a home and cure him.

Thank you,
    CrystalIMG_0147.jpgIMG_0146.jpg

Real Name
    Shan

Default Re: I have to move, hope someone kindly take my 5-6 in. Male Discus and Cure him.

Hi Crystal, are you shipping the fish? I can provide shipping cost coverage if you are able to pack him alright
    Amateur discuskeeper, Professional doofus

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: I have to move, hope someone kindly take my 5-6 in. Male Discus and Cure him.

Quote Originally Posted by Shan_Evolved View Post
    Hi Crystal, are you shipping the fish? I can provide shipping cost coverage if you are able to pack him alright
    Hi Shan, I do not think Crystal can ship the fish into the US since she is in Canada. I believe the US/Canadian border is still closed due to covid.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

Thank you for your offer to take him, but like Second Hand Pat said, I am in Canada, the border is still close, but even if the border is open, I do not know how I can pack him, as he cannot be in a bag with water, it will then be too cold, he will get really sick or die as the water is set at 89.6 F, and if I do not take him out of the tank, even if UPS will take him in the tank with water, there is no electricity for the heater, the two filters, it will not work either. But thank you for your kind gesture, I truly appreciate it.

Registered Member

Yes, Pat, you are right, I am in Canada, he cannot be shipped. it is just too far even if the border is open, he will die when he is not in a heated tank of almost 90F. Thanks

You can ship in bag of tank water inside a poly box with a heat pack. It seems this would be new to you so possibly quite daunting. Have you tried your LFS to see if they could take for you. If they can’t they may be prepared to
    Prepare it for shipping for you?

Real Name
    Mervin

Fish in "water" cannot be shipped over the US and Canadian border by air, by the general public. This law came in affect after 9/11. You have to drive them across.