AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Some help with a kit list?

Registered Member

Default Some help with a kit list?

Hi everyone,

A fish keeper of many years returning after an extended break and looking for some help in understanding what new/preferred technologies are out there as the world has no doubt moved on!

My background is mostly in freshwater, Central/South American Cichlids, 4-6' tanks running Eheim externals, some use of UV.

I am looking to setup a 300l Discus tank, with some (biotope appropriate) companions. I intend to have hardscaping with some (less demanding) plants.

My current thinking is to go for some of the German bred stock.

I would like to keep as much equipment out of the tank as possible, and prefer the 'buy right buy once' approach...can you help me build out a kit list? Which filters are you all running now? Inline heating? Any other innovative new systems now on the market?

All support and guidance appreciated!

Kind regards,

Mark.

Real Name
    Tom

Default Re: Some help with a kit list?

For a 75g you have many options for filtration. Hob 2 tidal 110s. Canister you can go with a fluval fx4 or the next smaller. Or you could do a sump or wet/dry system. Either of the last 2 you could put the heater in. Or go with 2 heaters one in sump one in tank both controlled by an ink-bird controller. Believe it or not. Not much has changed! If looking for uv (I use it in my tanks) the green killing machine is a good option. But it will be in the tank. They do make ones that go inline. Inline for me is just another connection that down the line can leak.

Registered Member

Thanks Tom for the suggestions - are Fluval now the 'go to' in terms of External canisters?

Real Name
    Tom

I have the fx6 on a 125g and I like it. 2years running. But in general I don’t like canisters. These fluvals work nice and are easy to clean. But in size there huge. With massive amounts of media. I also have a wet/dry on my other 125. To me this is a tried and true type of filtration. Easy to install and very little cleaning. These also move lots of water. Mines moving around 800g an hour. I’ve also have a 90g and it’s got 2 hobs on it that work great. It’s a community tank with just 1water change a week. But would have no problem using it for discus.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Robert Holt

I just went through a similar transition. I just retired and after 18 years out of the hobby I decided to set up my dream tank. Like you, I wanted to keep as much equipment out of the tank as possible. I went with Oase Thermo filters, mostly because they have the heater built in. I put 2 Oase 600 thermo filters on my 120 gal Discus tank. They are a little expensive but, after 5 months, I don't regret the expenditure. They are quite and efficient, and hold a large volume of media. They have a built in siphon for initial start-up and I've never had a problem with them starting back up after a power outage. They also have a easily removable pre-filter, making filter maintenance a snap.

Robert