AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Tidal filters Sure Do Suck

Registered Member

Red face Tidal filters Sure Do Suck

See my last entry on my thread below.

Registered Member

Default Re: Tidal filters Sure Do Suck

Caution for the inexperienced with Tidal power Filters.

With all due respect to those members who successfully use and love these filters, I wish I had never opened the box. If feeding heavily as in a grow out, they collect food/waste in AT LEAST three places - between the pump housing and the aquarium glass, underneath the inner basket and beneath the bottom sponge.

I was cleaning the sponges EVERY day and discovered the other two areas when I broke the two Tidal 110's down. I do 30 to 100 % water changes every day depending on my work.

The in-tank pump housing is unsightly and my Aquaclears fire up just fine after a power outage. I see no reason for this in-tank housing and surface skimming feature. I have been using hang on tank filters for 50 years. I am 58.

I have thrown 2 Uatuma Blues and 4 Blue Faced Heckels out into my backyard. I believe in "See no evil, Hear no evil, Speak no evil" or as we say in Pittsburgh "What goes around, comes around." I only write as a cautionary post. I wish this fate on no-one.

Thank You So Much to Everyone Who Has Ever Posted Here,
    Andy

As far as the Tidal filters go, I started my 125 gallon with 2 Tidal 110's because I had never used a canister before and was nervous to try something new. That being said, after about 4-5 months after having the 125 gallon all set up (with fish), I decided that they just could not keep the tank as clean as I liked it. The first frustration for me were the skimmers - they'd suck ALL of the food straight in, even on the lowest setting. The skimmers cannot be completely turned off unfortunately. I was unplugging my filters every time I fed the fish (4x per day) and it was SO FRUSTRATING.. especially having to remember to plug them back in (which I forgot to do on several occasions and lost my cycle). The other problem being that the intake tubes just weren't long enough to pick up debris on the bottom of the tank, even fully extended. The impeller would get so nasty and overall, my impression was that these are great filters - but NOT as the main source of filtration for a discus tank!
    Thank You for having my back Accerato

Between the two of us I'm certain we have saved some future discus keeper frustration (in your case) or lost fish (my case)

Registered Member

Thank You site moderators.

If this had been a certain reef tank forum, I would have been banned and the thread deleted.

With Accerato backing my assessment, it is certain that fish and hobbyists will benefit on some level. This is better for the hobby, better for everybody.

I should have trusted my nose. The tanks smelled off somehow. For those readers who may be newer to the hobby, a healthy tank should have almost no smell at all and certainly what is considered an odor. The only way that you should smell ANYTHING is if you shove your nose almost into the water. Even then the smell will not be unpleasant. The closest description I can give is that of Actinomycetes. If you lie down in a healthy mature deciduous forest and then disturb the leaves and humus you can smell the Actinomycetes. I actually love this smell it makes me feel like a boy again in my late uncle's wood lot. A healthy aquarium very faintly has a similar smell, especially a planted tank.

The Tidals did not.

p.s. Thank You Again to the Moderaters and Accerato. I thought for sure I would be banned. It is so refreshing to see that someone still has integrity. Unfortunately, hockey fans know the NHL does not. Tom Wilson is a sociopath. I hated having Matt Cooke on the Penguins. Tom Wilson will kill or paralyze someone. I lost respect for Mark Messier.
    Last edited by andy77; 05-05-2021 at 08:01 PM.

Real Name
    Tom

Hey Andy sorry it didn’t work out for you guys. I as I stated in your other thread do like the filter. But I use it in a community tank that’s not fed like a discus tank. Guess I got lucky I never used one on a discus tank. Just curious why would you have been banned on another site? Not allowed to voice your opinion there? Seems to me your giving good advice!

Registered Member

Hi Iminit,

I was banned from the other site because I would not go along with the regulars when it came to Cleaner wrasses. They were of the opinion that they should be left in the ocean. I had been keeping one for over a year and it was super cool cleaning my tangs and angels. They had failed with Cleaner Wrasses and decided that it was wrong for anyone on the planet to ever keep a Cleaner Wrasse even though they had had the opportunity to try. Hee hee, in my frustration I used and asterisk/expletive. Ahh, s**t. BANNED. BUT I had my Cleaner, A Yellow Tail Wrasse, A Regal Angel, Orange Spot Filefish and other fish that should be "left in the ocean." The shop gladly took them back when I came home.

Thanks for the Interest,
    Andy