AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Should I Stock

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Nicholas

Default Should I Stock

Recently started a new set up.
    Been one week trying to get my new to me set up to cycle. the problem is its a used filter that was shut down for a few days empty.(bb should of died off.)
    and well I don't know if its going to cycle. I'm a week in and already showing lots of nitrates. Never any nitrites and never saw any ammonia...
    I had some seed media from a friend, but only a little. I used bacteria in a can and threw 12 cardinals in there and am feeding them 4 times a day. still no spike!?

SO The Question.
    do I just assume its happy. should I start throwing some discus at it?

Registered Member

Default Re: Should I Stock

I would assume that it is time. However, I am not so good at this so I would wait for other's opinions.

Registered Member

Algae growth is the best sign of a tank being cycled. However, sinces its a new system I would do daily water changes of at least 50% for a month.

When in doubt just change more water. I purchased 7 adult Discus and put them in a 30 gallon QT tank with a sterile filter. I just did flopping on the bottom WCs until the filter caught up with the bio load.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

I do the large water changes similar to Liz does, no media or fish from outside sources. I do use the bottle bacterial for outside of my house for commercial property staging, filming and movie production, and commercial businesses.

Cliff