AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Growing Discus On

Real Name
    Brendan

Default Re: Growing Discus On

It just seems odd that literally most other retailer/breeder and experienced hobbyist swears by large regular water changes. Proof is in the pudding as they say. I’ll stick to what the veterans do, you’re basically guaranteed success.

Edit: also I don’t know why this keeps getting debated all the time. I get that it’s a forum but I would have thought it could have been put to rest a long time ago.
    21 Discus, 7 Green Tree Frogs, 3 Eastern Dwarf Tree frogs, 1 Coastal Carpet Python,6 sawshelled/Murray river turtles, 2 dogs, a cat, 2 kids and a wife. Phew...what a mouthful

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Appreciate the advice guys it’s not falling on deaf ears. My setup will allow me to perform water changes easily so it’s not that I’m against doing them just advised against it which goes against what I’ve read and the replies here.

Not sure there was much call for complaining about it being discussed all the time. I’ve appreciated the discussion and it’s certainly got me thinking about changing my approach.

Registered Member

I got mine when they have 6.5cm and where doing 50% daily water change in quite small tank. When they reached 8-10cm I moved them to bigger tank with weekly water change only.

They growing fast and healthy.. I can’t complain
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?137931-190g-finally-ready/page4

So I tested my sample water 24hrs later and no change other than a slight increase in the GH reading although that could be a read error either yesterday or today.

GH - 40
    No3 - 0
    No2 - 0
    Chlorine - 0.8
    KH - 0
    PH - 6.6 -6.8

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by johnlfc View Post
    So I tested my sample water 24hrs later and no change other than a slight increase in the GH reading although that could be a read error either yesterday or today.

GH - 40
    No3 - 0
    No2 - 0
    Chlorine - 0.8
    KH - 0
    PH - 6.6 -6.8
    I would not trust test strips which show KH =0. Did you add air stone there and you still have 0.8 chlorine?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12