AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Weird black spot (not peppering)

Registered Member

Default Weird black spot (not peppering)

Here comes another random post from dee.

So I wouldn't classify this as an illness so I didn't want to go to the other topic forum and fill out the whole sickness document.

But I also don't know what this dot is. I don't even know how long it's been there. He's my favorite fish so I think I would have noticed sooner but I've been busy lately and not spending time hanging out in front of the tank.

I will say I added new plants a month ago. And added another discus last night who has been in a grow out tank for 2 months or so.

The fish in question has been behaving normally. In fact, you can see in my post history, he has a history of a recurring odd behavior/illness but has not shown signs of this in a month and it used to be a near weekly occurrence (stopped feeding blackworms cause maybe they were expanding in his belly also upgraded tank to 75g).

Anyway here's the spot versus another photo from a couple months back:

20210508_114208.jpg

The color differences is just the time of day/lighting and his position in the tank, I believe.

Any ideas?

Adding the photo alone so maybe you can zoom in and see it looks like part of his skin and not some external fleck of something
    http://imgur.com/a/YTfEv3w
    Last edited by Deeeee; 05-08-2021 at 12:59 PM.

Registered Member

Default Re: Weird black spot (not peppering)

Here comes another random post from dee.

So I wouldn't classify this as an illness so I didn't want to go to the other forum and fill out the whole sickness document.

But I also don't know what this dot is. I don't even know how long it's been there. He's my favorite fish so I think I would have noticed sooner but I've been busy lately and not spending time hanging out in front of the tank.

I will say I added new plants a month ago. And added another discus last night who has been in a grow out tank for 2 months or so.

The fish in question has been behaving normally. In fact, you can see in my post history, he has a history of a recurring odd behavior/illness but has not shown signs of this in a month and it n used to be a near weekly occurrence (stopped feeding blackworms cause maybe they were expanding in his belly also upgraded tank to 75g).

Anyway here's the spot versus another photo from a couple months back:

20210508_114208.jpg

The color differences is just the time of day/lighting and his position in the tank, I believe.

http://imgur.com/a/YTfEv3w

Any ideas?

The reason you haven't answers is because at this point it appears to be nothing but a black dot. As long as it stays a small black dot there're no sense worrying about it. Just keep an eye on it. If it gets bigger post a pic. BTW, BD's are prone to bloat. I don't think anyone knows why it most often effects BD's.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

I am not seeing the original post??

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    I am not seeing the original post??
    It was pretty much the same thing but this post is better. She posted duplicate posts and may have accidently deleted both.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Daniel

Thanks Mama Bear!

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

All posts are now visible
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Daniel

Thanks Pat! Now i see the pics...looks like a beauty spot to me

Real Name
    Tom

I’ve got a spot like that to. Though mine came with it.F5D820D3-5A4D-47D7-9B4E-FC7056E74790.jpg and it’s got pigeon blood in it.

Registered Member

It might be nothing try doing several large water changes see if this helps.

Cliff

Registered Member

Hey guys! Thanks for everyone kind enough to share input. Today the spot is barely visible. I didn't change anything in the tank just took the advice that as of now its just a spot and I can barely see the shadow of the dot. It reminded me of a bruise because of the variation in shade when I examined images closely. I wasn't sure of discus got dark bruises like that because any injuries they've sustained have usually been more read.