AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on these discus?

Registered Member

Default Thoughts on these discus?

Hi first post but been on here doing a lot of reading! I wonder what your thoughts are on these discus?

From my reading it seems the consensus is for new keepers to go for adult discus however my budget is limited so I know I am just not going to be able to afford some super quality fish.

I have someone locally to me offering them for £200.

I do have a couple of worries though. He said they are all two years old ish but clearly vastly different sizes does this mean some are stunted?

My other option would be to buy juvies and raise them myself?

Thanks for your help.

8931B6A1-CCD3-4BFE-86D9-6444125FD67B.jpg

77628DEA-2E0B-46F5-B5F5-57373FCEE4AB.jpg

F4802CDB-5189-4C46-8CE3-E10F16AFA3F8.jpg

2C2D1167-541F-4B11-A7E8-2346453C888F.jpg

90FBC65F-3981-411E-81E1-FD042ECAF08F.jpg

Real Name
    Tom

Default Re: Thoughts on these discus?

The water quality in that tank is not up to par. 2 of the fish are showing fin rot and a third has the beginnings of it. Yes the 2 with the fin rot do look stunted. But will look better with regular water changes. Looks like 5 in the tank. How big are they. What are you ready to do to get them back to health? If the 3 big ones are over 5” they’d be at least $75 a piece the smaller if 4” probably about $50.

Registered Member

Ragged fins was my first thought before I read Tom's post. I do like the Dark Angel, however. Clean water and salt treatment to begin with.

Registered Member

The tank must be of better quality. These fishes are so sensitive.

Registered Member

Thanks for your reply. He hasn’t said exactly how big they are just that they are a good size. I’m not over worried about the fin rot hoping I can solve that with regular water changes and my tank is twice the size of his so hoping that will help. But the stunting would be permanent yeah? Would you give it a miss for the price he is asking? Thanks

Registered Member

Thanks if I get them will definitely do some salt treatment. When I have done salt treatment in the past I dose the whole tank but would you recommend a salt bath instead for discus?

Registered Member

Thanks I am hoping that I can reverse some damage if I do get them but wasn’t sure if it is too late and would be better to start fresh with some juvies.

Real Name
    Brendan

If it was me, I’d start fresh with some juvies.
    21 Discus, 7 Green Tree Frogs, 3 Eastern Dwarf Tree frogs, 1 Coastal Carpet Python,6 sawshelled/Murray river turtles, 2 dogs, a cat, 2 kids and a wife. Phew...what a mouthful

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by BrendanJ23 View Post
    If it was me, I’d start fresh with some juvies.
    Same there .. i would go with juvies and not buy from that guy. Maybe you can cure them, but maybe not.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

These guys are in rough shape and several are stunted. I too would suggest starting with juvies.

The fins in these guys can be trimmed but no fix for the hard rays or the stunting.

Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Tom

Do you have discus now? If these will be your first they will be a project. How big is your tank? What is in your tank now?Bringing up juveniles is also a project. Lots of water changes and feedings. I too like to go the juvenile way. But if your first time with discus this may be a nice challenge. Thing is he’s never selling those discus at that price. Maybe half.

Registered Member

I have a 680 litre tank with fx5 and a sump. Currently have some community fish in there but may move them into another tank. Or use one of my smaller tanks for the juvies to grow out in if I go that way.

Never had any discus before! Do you mean he shouldn’t be asking for that price and would only really get half? It is £200 for all 5. Thanks

Registered Member

Thanks Pat it seems the consensus is juvies! When you say hard rays what do you mean by that? Sorry had a google but couldn’t see it.

Registered Member

Thanks seems juvies might be the way to go.

Real Name
    Tom

Lol I’m in the U.S. and my keyboard doesn’t even give me that L thing in front of the 200 . So I’m guessing pounds which is $280 US. I’d say $100 US dollars.
    Now it looks to me that it’s just a water problem with those fish. He’s not keeping up on water quality and hasn’t been for a long time. Yes the 2 are stunted but will look a lot better with full fins. For $100 I’d that the chance. Once healthy they will look nice. And with the tank you have and now seeing that you like discus you can buy some juveniles and grow them out. The ones your looking at look like Stendker discus. I see 2 dark angels 2 flachen and a leopard. Healthy they are nice fish.
    The ray is the piece between the fins. The longer pointy things.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast