ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on these discus?

Registered Member

Default Re: Thoughts on these discus?

Thanks I did offer him 150 pounds so around 210 dollars but he flat out refused and said he wouldn’t budge on his price so maybe it’s best to leave it and go with juvies? I can get 6 for 120 pounds from a supplier that seems ok.

Real Name
    Tom

Yes that’s the better way! Now with small discus you’ll want to start them in a smaller tank and grow them out. A 40g breeder works well as does a 55g. Juveniles need clean water and lots of food. Ask lots of questions and if your going to the shop take pictures first and post here to find out how they are.

Real Name
    Mervin

IMO, you should leave those fish where they are. Why bring diseased fish into your place on purpose. Fin rot is a bacterial issue. These discus appear that they were not well taken care of. You will not have a good experience in discus keeping. Always best to start off on a good foot with healthy discus to begin with. Personally, I wouldn't take those if they were given to me.

Gold Member FischAutoTechGarten's Avatar
    Real Name
    Peter

I don't understand the logic of even trying to sell sick and stunted fish. Clearly the present owner cannot take care of them properly. He should be thinking in terms of moving them on to someone who can care for them and improve their health, rather than collecting 200 pounds.

Sometimes I just get so annoyed by the constance chase for money.

These fish need help... the owner doesn't need money.... and quite frankly with the poor care they've received, he's completely devalued them. They should be offered for free.
    Peter
    Cuerpo en Green Valley, Arizona, USA y Corazón en Alamos, Sonora, Mexico

learning never stops

Gold Member FischAutoTechGarten's Avatar
    Real Name
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Vdubers View Post
    Thanks I did offer him 150 pounds so around 210 dollars but he flat out refused and said he wouldn’t budge on his price so maybe it’s best to leave it and go with juvies? I can get 6 for 120 pounds from a supplier that seems ok.
    Yeah, leave them. Let their demise be on his head..... The arrogance to ask that kind of money for mistreated stock.... Stay clear of the guy...
    Peter
    Cuerpo en Green Valley, Arizona, USA y Corazón en Alamos, Sonora, Mexico

learning never stops

Registered Member

Look for healthy Discus, you don't want to spend $$$ for medication.

Cliff

Registered Member

Thanks I do have a 40gal breeder currently with guppy fry in. It’s only got two large sponge filters as filtration though. Would that be better to grow them out in rather than my main tank?

Registered Member

Thanks for all the replies. You guys have definitely helped make my decision easier and taught me what to look for in the future. I just saw pretty fish and wasn’t noticing the flaws. I will update when my supplier sends me a video of his juvies.

Real Name
    Tom

Yep that’s a great tank for juries!! Keep us posted! .

Registered Member

Thanks how many juvies should I start with? I was going to go for 6 however at a push I can afford 10. I have a 160 gal tank. I would rather go for 6 at first really but if I went for 6 could I add more down the line? Or would that cause issues with some being immune to different diseases etc?

Real Name
    Tom

Not at all I added 6 at a time. Grow out the first 6 than when ready to move order your second 6. When done with the second group get your third group of 6. 18 in a 160 is fine. And all may not make it.

Registered Member

Thanks that sounds like a good plan!

Real Name
    Willie

Quote Originally Posted by Vdubers View Post
    Thanks I do have a 40gal breeder currently with guppy fry in. It’s only got two large sponge filters as filtration though. Would that be better to grow them out in rather than my main tank?
    Young discus are raised in groups and slightly crowded. Here are 8 Stendker Flachens growing up in a 40 gallon tank

I got these 2+ months ago at 3" and they should hit 4" in a couple of weeks. There's a double stack set of Hydro V sponges and a heater. As long as you keep up the water changes, they'll grow fine. They can stay in that tank until for another couple of months without stunting - as long as you keep up the water changes.

Flachens can grow big so they will go into much larger tanks eventually. I subscribe to the 10 gal/discus minimum rule, but that's not applicable to younger fish.
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member

Nice lovely looking fish! I’m debating setting up a auto water change system to do 100% daily and then do daily 10% on top manually for poop/food scooping?

Real Name
    Willie

That'll work. I would also suggest that you wipe down the sides of the tank weekly. You'll find slime builds up very quickly with heavy feeding - which Flachens respond well to.
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast