ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Dennis Discus fish

Registered Member

Default Dennis Discus fish

Hi - I just wanted to post a review for Dennis....long story short, great guy to work with and fabulous fish.

Member here for 12 years, but took a break from fish when I moved.

Back to fish after a 10 year hiatus as my wife and daughter wanted a tank. I’ve owned discus before, so know what to expect.

I set the tank up about six weeks ago and then four weeks ago got in the smaller fish...rummy nose, espeis, cardinals.

I reached out to Dennis to start the process and let him know that my tank would be ready in about a month. He just mentioned to reach out closer to when I’m ready to receive and if had stock on hand then we’re good or maybe wait a couple weeks for his next shipment.

A month later I reached out and told him the strains that my wife/daughter had picked out. Ready to take delivery within the week...knowing that Dennis is a sponsor here and will have great fish/service I didn’t even request pics or a vid. Dennis hand-selected the fish, separated them into their own tank and sent a video.

He actually pointed out that one of the original fish (a second tiger turq) was just a little varied from the other and offered to swap for another strain if I like (was his last tiger turq) or not take that fish. The fish was still gorgeous so I said “no, I’ll take this set...they look great!”.

So, later that night I’m just sitting in bed thinking about them and looking at the video again and I just email Dennis on a whim and say “swap out that second tiger turq for a red turq if you have a great one...else, no problem on that one...I trust your judgement”). Well, you can see for yourself the amazing red turq that he picked out.

Here’s what we got:

1 x red turq (4.5-5”)
    1 x. tiger turq (4.25”)
    2 x yellow panda (4.5”)
    1 x red panda (4.5”)
    1 x red pigeon (3.5”)

Overnight shipping was impeccable. Big box, super insulated...large water bags with partially dark side and bottom to not stress the fish. The fish started eating/nibbling within several hours of getting here.

As you’ll see in the video all fish are at least the advertised size...if not significantly larger and thick! But seriously, that red turq is huge...he looks like 5.5-6”!

Here’s a video of them less than 24 hours after receipt. Video quality does not do these fish justice as it’s just a crappy iPad video. Please ignore the brown algae issue as I’m just gonna let that play out. Tank is still marinating as you can see the plants growing in.

https://youtu.be/xsPcYkbtD-Q

Chander

Real Name
    Tom

Default Re: Dennis Discus fish

Discus look great! I also recently received discus from Dennis. Great guy to deal with!! Being new to your tank you may want to leave the light off for a day or so or lower the intensity. Discus do take awhile to get comfortable in the tank. Good luck with them!

Registered Member

Thanks for the advice. I left the lights off the first day and this morning I’m letting the tank do normal stuff and see how it goes. Still huddle up when anyone but my wife approaches, but swim around and do normal discus stuff (little fighting, grazing, uprooting grasses, etc) so I’m going to see how today goes.

I’ve also gone back and forth on the ‘don’t feed them for 24 hours thing’ but now just offer fish food within a couple hours of acclimation.

Edit: lights back off for now....tons of window sunlight (hence the algae going crazy!).
    Last edited by teal; 05-13-2021 at 01:38 PM.

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Looking good mate. Dennis is so very easy to work with. I bought discus off him in 2018 and he still keeps in touch. Have fun with your new beautiful discus. Nice to be able to enjoy them with your wife!

If you take the s out of https your YouTube vid will load like this;

Quote Originally Posted by teal View Post
    Hi - I just wanted to post a review for Dennis....long story short, great guy to work with and fabulous fish.

Member here for 12 years, but took a break from fish when I moved.

Back to fish after a 10 year hiatus as my wife and daughter wanted a tank. I’ve owned discus before, so know what to expect.

I set the tank up about six weeks ago and then four weeks ago got in the smaller fish...rummy nose, espeis, cardinals.

I reached out to Dennis to start the process and let him know that my tank would be ready in about a month. He just mentioned to reach out closer to when I’m ready to receive and if had stock on hand then we’re good or maybe wait a couple weeks for his next shipment.

A month later I reached out and told him the strains that my wife/daughter had picked out. Ready to take delivery within the week...knowing that Dennis is a sponsor here and will have great fish/service I didn’t even request pics or a vid. Dennis hand-selected the fish, separated them into their own tank and sent a video.

He actually pointed out that one of the original fish (a second tiger turq) was just a little varied from the other and offered to swap for another strain if I like (was his last tiger turq) or not take that fish. The fish was still gorgeous so I said “no, I’ll take this set...they look great!”.

So, later that night I’m just sitting in bed thinking about them and looking at the video again and I just email Dennis on a whim and say “swap out that second tiger turq for a red turq if you have a great one...else, no problem on that one...I trust your judgement”). Well, you can see for yourself the amazing red turq that he picked out.

Here’s what we got:

1 x red turq (4.5-5”)
    1 x. tiger turq (4.25”)
    2 x yellow panda (4.5”)
    1 x red panda (4.5”)
    1 x red pigeon (3.5”)

Overnight shipping was impeccable. Big box, super insulated...large water bags with partially dark side and bottom to not stress the fish. The fish started eating/nibbling within several hours of getting here.

As you’ll see in the video all fish are at least the advertised size...if not significantly larger and thick! But seriously, that red turq is huge...he looks like 5.5-6”!

Here’s a video of them less than 24 hours after receipt. Video quality does not do these fish justice as it’s just a crappy iPad video. Please ignore the brown algae issue as I’m just gonna let that play out. Tank is still marinating as you can see the plants growing in.

https://youtu.be/xsPcYkbtD-Q

Chander
    Chander,

Thank you for sharing with the group and thank you for your detailed feedback. Greatly appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Iminit View Post
    Discus look great! I also recently received discus from Dennis. Great guy to deal with!! Being new to your tank you may want to leave the light off for a day or so or lower the intensity. Discus do take awhile to get comfortable in the tank. Good luck with them!
    Hey Tom,

Nice to hear from you Thank you for your comments.

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    Looking good mate. Dennis is so very easy to work with. I bought discus off him in 2018 and he still keeps in touch. Have fun with your new beautiful discus. Nice to be able to enjoy them with your wife!

If you take the s out of https your YouTube vid will load like this;

Thank you, Danny!