AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Please help! Bacillus bacteria

Registered Member

Default Please help! Bacillus bacteria

Hello all!

Lately I've been having trouble with my discus fry... After I separate them frow their parents they start getting thin and pale, and start dying one after the other.

I send some samples to a laboratory and the result is that the fry are dying because of a bacillus bacteria...

Does anybody knows haw to treat this? Please help!! I hope somebody knows a good antibiotic to treat this.

Thanks all in advanced!!!

Santiago

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re: Please help! Bacillus bacteria

Amoxicillin is a good antibiotic for gram positive bacteria in most cases but many people run the fry through a course of PP at this stage. If you choose PP then just be careful because it can easily be overdosed on young fry and it can kill the bacteria in your filters creating an ammonia spike.

Registered Member

Any living organism carries millions of bacteria. Usually not pathogenic. Most bacteria are divided into either Bacillus of Cocci so the information the lab sent you is not going to be helpful at all as there a hundreds, maybe thousands of species within each category. To get to the bottom of things you may want to describe your water parameters, when you are separating the fry, etc

Registered Member

Amoxicillin has been effective for me. However, I have never done the procedures above.

Real Name
    Mervin

Quote Originally Posted by sallyfrosty View Post
    I did not understand how to help my fish, as they died very quickly to understand something about what exactly did not fit them from the feed. I was so worried that apparently, my body was too weak, and I even got sick with covid. But now everything is fine; I drank a course of pills from niclosam.com, and now I kind of feel perfect. I would like to have fish again because I feel lonely without them, but I am terrified that they will die because I will not know how to treat them properly. So if someone here understands exactly how these antibiotics work for fish, please write in more detail
    They work by killing the bacteria and keeps them from reproducing and copying themselves.
    Last edited by bluelagoon; 12-05-2021 at 10:30 AM.