AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Discus breeder/importer in California

Registered Member

Default Discus breeder/importer in California

Hello discus lovers,
    I need an advice. I live in San Jose CA, and am looking for quality discus breeder/ importer.
    I generally buy my discus in person, so if you can recommend anyone in Northern California that will be great.

Also, does anyone know about IP discuss and who imports them in US?

Thanks
    Joy

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Default Re: Discus breeder/importer in California

Joy if you cannot anyone local i can recommend Dennis of Dennis Discus Fish, site sponsor, because he will send individual pics of fish, separate them to their own tank, send video, and more pics until you are confident of your choices. His service really is the next best thing to choosing then in person. He's also an expert shipper right to your door.
    https://dennisdiscusfish.com/

Registered Member

Thanks Daniel. I will surely check Denis.

Registered Member

Does anyone know about IP discus?

Real Name
    Francis

Jeffrey Moy @ Exotic Discus imports Tony Tan’s Ip discus in the States.

https://www.exotic-discus.com/

Quote Originally Posted by joy.guha View Post
    Does anyone know about IP discus?
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Registered Member

Thanks Francis.

Registered Member

See them live no more than a 20 min. drive, check Craigslist SF Bay Area. There are five breeder/importers listed today. Bring your own bucket or bag.

GoodLuck,
    Cliff
    Last edited by CliffsDiscus; 05-15-2021 at 02:09 PM.

Real Name
    Willie

Quote Originally Posted by joy.guha View Post
    I need an advice. I live in San Jose CA, and am looking for quality discus breeder/ importer. I generally buy my discus in person, so if you can recommend anyone in Northern California that will be great.
    Without having any financial stakes in the matter, I'd strongly recommend you get discus from a SimplyDiscus Sponsor. Do not get dazzled by breeder brand names. No matter what people may claim, you have no way of knowing if this discus really came from that farm. (It's like trying to buy a pedigree dog from a puppy mill.) I've participated on this forum for ~20 years and have read so many posts on discus health and growth. If you were to simply scan the last 200 threads in the disease section, you'll find > 95% of them describe discus coming from Craig's List, eBay, LFS, some random guy, etc. Virtually none of the threads describe discus from an SD Sponsor.

If you start with fish from SD Sponsors, your chances of success immediately increase by 20X. And they have very nice fish. As regular importers, they can get better quality stock than someone who orders infrequently. If there is a problem, they must do everything to fix it to maintain their credibility. If their problem recurs, they won't be successful here. And when you've done business with them but are looking for something really special, just ask them for a special order.

Good luck, Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Real Name
    Vinni Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Without having any financial stakes in the matter, I'd strongly recommend you get discus from a SimplyDiscus Sponsor. Do not get dazzled by breeder brand names. No matter what people may claim, you have no way of knowing if this discus really came from that farm. (It's like trying to buy a pedigree dog from a puppy mill.) I've participated on this forum for ~20 years and have read so many posts on discus health and growth. If you were to simply scan the last 200 threads in the disease section, you'll find > 95% of them describe discus coming from Craig's List, eBay, LFS, some random guy, etc. Virtually none of the threads describe discus from an SD Sponsor.

If you start with fish from SD Sponsors, your chances of success immediately increase by 20X. And they have very nice fish. As regular importers, they can get better quality stock than someone who orders infrequently. If there is a problem, they must do everything to fix it to maintain their credibility. If their problem recurs, they won't be successful here. And when you've done business with them but are looking for something really special, just ask them for a special order.

Good luck, Willie
    Yep. I 2nd what Willie said.

Real Name
    Tom

Yes I third it!! Quality discus come from quality sellers. Those here do seem top shelf. From here I’ve bought from Kenny (☹️) and Dennis Discus. Both delivered top quality discus shipped outstandingly! Next is Hans! Also top quality! Second shelf for me was Uncle Sams. Good fish but shipping left more to be desired!

Registered Member

Thanks guys..I fourth that opinion and have experienced it first hand.
    When I was in Houston I got my discus from Dan ( gulf coast discus) and in San Jose I visited Kenny. Sadly both options have dried out. People did recommend Dennis, and Golden state discus. I will talk to them.

Does anyone know of SD sponsored importer who deals with IP discus from Malaysia? Recently I have seen some IP discus and got intrigued by their shape and size. If you know anyone then pls. Share your experience.

Thanks again for your recommendations.

Joy

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Johnny

If you're looking for IP discus, or those bred by Tony Tan, go order from Jeffrey Moy at Exoticdiscus.com. He is not a sponsor of Simplydiscus, but is highly renowned by people in the discus community-AKA people on Simplydiscus and the Simplydiscus FB group. He exclusively imports and sells Jeffrey Tan's IP discus. I recommend you message him via FB to get a better picture of what he has to offer, and check out his site. He responds quickly to FB messages.

Also, since you're in San Jose, I'd recommend checking out Alex at Bayareadiscus, who is a Simplydiscus sponsor. He recently imported discus from Martin Ng, also a premium Malaysian discus breeder in the same level of Tony Tan. I recently bought some Martin Ng discus from another vendor, Myrtle Beach Discus, and the quality was top notch. Martin Ng discus have very unique color and breeds. Also check out Son Vu who runs Son's Discus through his FB page. He imports some extremely high quality discus from Vietnam. His selections are the cream of the crop, with round shape and color. His discus are more expensive but worth it.

Both Bayareadiscus and Son's Discus have posted their ads on Craigslist recently. I would recommend you to go to their facilities to pick out your discus in person so you get what you like.
    By the way, I'm also in San Jose.

Registered Member

Thanks Johnny. That was very helpful. We should connect sometime.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post

Good luck, Willie
    Something Forrest told me about breeding. He said many times a breeder will call a fish what it looks like. So if a pair of already mixed Red Mellons produce somethng that looks like a Red Alenquer then it may be called a Red Alenquer mix. Or be given a completely new name. You will never know if the strain is pure or even if the parents were a pure strain. Pigeon Blood and Albinos are what they are but still may be cross bred. Wille suggested forum sponsors and is not Golden State Discus one of them? Are you aware of the sponsor list?

Registered Member

I think I saw the sponsor list somewhere.
    Anyways, this is what I found useful

Denis discus
    Golden state discus
    Bayareadiscus (they are close to where I live)
    Son Vu ( not a sponsor but I will check him too)
    Exotic discus ( not a sponsor, but I will check for IP discus)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast