ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Egg SUCKING

Default Egg SUCKING

Bet this thread title has never been used before

Question: Could I suck eggs off piece of DW in order to raise fry artificially?

Background: DW too big to take out. Parents (unsure which one... I think female) eats them on 3rd day (RIGHT before they hatch.
    -Elliot

Real Name
    Tom

Default Re: Egg SUCKING

Lol! Yes I’ve done it a few times. But you have to get the fry to eat. That’s where it ends for me. Can’t get them to eat.

Apparently "Egg SUCKING" title didn't work. Or maybe was TOO awesome and folks missed the point (I'm putting my money on it just wasn't funny... all good).

Looking for advice from those who've artificially raised discus. I'd like to try it (1, 2, or 3 times... probably at least 3 since It's not common for me to nail anything on first try... to include my wife but totally would've had it not been for.... errr... side affect of wellbutrin when trying to quit smoking )

I have methylene blue, aerator, mini heaters, different suggested early food... what else?)

If they lay on big DW again, can get eggs (or some eggs) off without damaging? If no response, then you all know my dumb @$$ will try anyhow. Really would love guidance or ideas since the dad is from Kenny and it'd mean a lot to me to have some success.
    -Elliot

TOM! I love you already. You must've JUST responded. Can you share even your hard lesson learned with trying to feed?
    -Elliot

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Elliot, perhaps place a cone near the place the eggs are being laid and maybe the pair will use that. May give you a better start vs sucking the eggs off the DW.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Tom

Elliot I’ve tried this so many times (at least 15) with eggs from 3 different parents. Even a pair of red tigers from Kenny. They started me because in the main tank the took their first attempt all the way to the free swimming stage. Than they were put into a breeding tank (first time for me). There they ate all eggs for 2 months. Read a thread here about artificially bringing them up so I tried that so many times that I’m now giving it a break. I’ve got a thread here called I got wigglers that I think has some info. Here’s some pics.2086557A-B724-473E-8985-1809CD3AF615.jpg68154576-48C5-4D7C-AE37-0BED224F3F46.jpg what I use to remove the eggs is a turkey baster. Those that fall off I just pick up with a water change and add to the others. I float in a Tupperware with a few drops of methylene blue. I change that water 3 times a day. That has brought all eggs to wigglers and most from there to swimmers. Next I’ve tried poweredegg yoke and baby bbs to no luck. Lasttimei tries first bites but again no luck. When they reach the swimming stage I add an air tube with a bubble a second no more blue and change the water regularly. I’ve tried different type of water. Tank and tap to the same results. I just can’t get them to eat.

Pat, I was going to but then I couldn't use a cool title for this thread!

Tom, I loooove those lessons learned. I nerd out on details and love the heck out of anyone who takes the time to share them. I'm going to check out your thread you mentioned as well.

Did you ever try yoke from a boiled egg by chance? Saw a few YouTube videos with that. One guy used a ground, flat, dark gray object with a fine mesh on it. He'd then smudge a tiny bit onto the mesh and whatever was loose he'd wipe off, then place the object in his floating container. I think he did a dark colored object to mimic parent fish turning dark. Saw a few dozen grazing on it.
    -Elliot

Real Name
    Tom

No never tried that but it sounds like a good idea . Any day now they should be laying eggs again. I’ll give it a try.

Registered Member

I have had success with NEWLY HATCHED BBS only an hour or so after hatching. If they go even a little past that stage, they are too big for many fry. Even if all is perfect, some fry (20 - 40 percent) just don't make it. HTH
    Richard

Quote Originally Posted by ref0716 View Post
    I have had success with NEWLY HATCHED BBS only an hour or so after hatching. If they go even a little past that stage, they are too big for many fry. Even if all is perfect, some fry (20 - 40 percent) just don't make it. HTH
    Richard
    Ok, that definitely helps. I remember doing that a long time ago with other type of fry and wondered why it worked for first 2 feedings only
    -Elliot

Real Name
    Tom

They say that the San Francisco Bay brand bbs are smaller than the others. Havnt tried yet though.

Registered Member

I'm not a fan of egg sucking, siphoning of even razoring because of high deformities in the head region such as bent foreheads, eye location and bent mouths. See some tips I wrote on mondodiscus.com and NADA.

Cliff

That's the dude you want to listen to Pastry. He knows this esoteric stuff from experience. I'm sure he would have answered you sooner if you'd asked the question in the breeding section.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Francis

Just sharing......Feeding Discus: ARTIFICIAL REARING DISCUS by Cliff Young.

https://www.mondodiscus.com/2007/11/...y-cliff-young/

Quote Originally Posted by pastry View Post
    Pat, I was going to but then I couldn't use a cool title for this thread!

Tom, I loooove those lessons learned. I nerd out on details and love the heck out of anyone who takes the time to share them. I'm going to check out your thread you mentioned as well.

Did you ever try yoke from a boiled egg by chance? Saw a few YouTube videos with that. One guy used a ground, flat, dark gray object with a fine mesh on it. He'd then smudge a tiny bit onto the mesh and whatever was loose he'd wipe off, then place the object in his floating container. I think he did a dark colored object to mimic parent fish turning dark. Saw a few dozen grazing on it.
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Real Name
    Tom

I’ve read the Cliff Young article. But only have the egg yoke. Mine just never ate it. And one time I left it in the bowl for around 6 hours but all the fry died. I though it has something to do with the egg yoke.
    Well I’ve got another batch going now. They are 3rd day wigglers. About 20 of them. This time I will try the boiled egg yoke. Still trying to figure this out so not expecting keepers. Parents all keep eating eggs on third day.
    87161D80-4794-455C-B8F8-1CFE272EC21E.jpg02CE577A-8B8E-4416-82FE-1EB848D6E84C.jpgE0ABCCA5-10F0-4623-9547-2B0865ACF3A1.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast