ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Actual amount (in grams) to feed per day?

Registered Member

Default Actual amount (in grams) to feed per day?

Hi I have been doing a lot of reading and the consensus seems to be 6x per day are optimum for Juvies (2-4 inches) however I'm not sure how much my total per day should probably look like?

I came across this video from the king of DIY on youtube and while I read to do more water changes than he shows in all his comparisons it also seemed like a lot less food than I was anticipating? Using only 20g of food total to get the discus from 0.25" to 4" in around 4 months? That seems a crazy low amount of food to me? But also seemed like ok growth? Even in the tank with only one 50% water change per week!

He mentions another video where he experimented with the amount of food given but I cant seem to find it.

What are your guys thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPWLTV7HGuU

Thanks

Registered Member

Default Re: Actual amount (in grams) to feed per day?

i would ignore these types of videos.

Quote Originally Posted by Vdubers View Post
    Hi I have been doing a lot of reading and the consensus seems to be 6x per day are optimum for Juvies (2-4 inches) however I'm not sure how much my total per day should probably look like?

I came across this video from the king of DIY on youtube and while I read to do more water changes than he shows in all his comparisons it also seemed like a lot less food than I was anticipating? Using only 20g of food total to get the discus from 0.25" to 4" in around 4 months? That seems a crazy low amount of food to me? But also seemed like ok growth? Even in the tank with only one 50% water change per week!

He mentions another video where he experimented with the amount of food given but I cant seem to find it.

What are your guys thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPWLTV7HGuU

Thanks

If you check out the stenker website they list a number of pdfs related to keeping discus. One of them relates to feeding the amounts and frequency for size of fish. I would take this as a guide to get you started.
    My own thoughts would be around little and often. If you can feed what it looks like they are eating over a couple of minutes a number of times a day (I would say minimum3-4) then I doubt you will go far wrong.

Registered Member

Thanks I will follow Stenker advise first off and then maybe increase it if they are eating well and water parameters are all good.

Real Name
    Willie

Quote Originally Posted by captainandy View Post
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Real Name
    Steve

Especially videos from the king of DIY. Or should I say the king of Go Fund Me.

Registered Member

Same here, same goes for that king of DIY guy.

Registered Member

I’m following Stendker’s guideline

For 10 discus fish with a size of:
    - 6,5 to 12 cm (2,5” to 4,7”), you will need approx. ˝ to 1 blister (2,5 to 5 g / 0,1 to 0,2 oz), per meal (per meal, which corresponds to 7,5 to 15 g / 0,3 – 0,5 oz, per day.)
    - 12 to 18 cm (4,7” to 7”), you will need approx. 1 to 1 ˝ blisters (5 to 7,5 g / 0,2 - 0,3 oz) per meal, which corresponds to 15 to 22,5 g / 0,5 – 0,75 oz, per day