AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alenquer problem

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Antonis Sklavounos

Default Alenquer problem

Hello everyone, this is my first post and it’s sad that it is for a sick discus.
    First of all sorry for my English.
    I took 4 wild alenquers and 3 non wild in bad shape from a friend and I am trying to save them.
    They are going really better. After flagyl they start to eat. They eat live food- frozen and flakes. They still doesn’t like pellets. I used Epsom salt too and it seems that helped them a lot. They have gill flukes too I think. I made a treatment with Edna gdex and they breath better and doesn’t scratch or something anymore. The problem that remains is that one discus has an unusual behaviour. He swims normal and eats a lot but some times he stays like the photo I put. He stays a little like that and he comes back and moves again normal and eats. When he stays like that moves fast his fins and is like cough. He is getting dark only in this position after that his colours come back.
    My ph is 4,5 ammonia 0 no2 0 no3 11-12
    Fish are still in quarantine. 125ltr which I had with other fishes but I made it quarantine for them.
    Anyone has any idea what he has?D0E8D4A6-04EF-4752-9EEF-81891988905A.jpg

Registered Member

Default Re: Alenquer problem

Sometimes it can be as simple as frequent waster change and adding 1 table spoon of table salt per gallon. Table salt, not Epsom salt, works quickly for ill fish.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Antonis Sklavounos

Hello everybody again, nah thank you for your answer. I tried the aquarium salt but doesn’t helped. I do WC very often already. All the discus have come back but this one on the photo still has this problem. I put him alone in a second quarantine and 4 days now I have put aquarium salt. I didn’t saw any difference. He is keeping doing this but for more time now. What more can I do?

Real Name
    Francis

Better check yr water parameters again, very unlikely yr Ph is 4.5 and how much salt did you use ? Best to post another photo of yr sick discus . Also did you quarantine the new discus .Could be cross contamination....Are you using eSha Gdex( praziquantel)?

Fill up the questionnaire

Disease Questionnaire - please complete

Please complete this questionnaire if your fish are sick (copy and paste). The more details you can provide, the better we are able to diagnose and help you treat your sick fish.

DISEASE QUESTIONNAIRE

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.

8. What type/brand water conditioner do you use? Do you add it to the tank or aging barrel? How much do you use?

9. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp _____

- ph _____

- ammonia reading ____

- nitrite reading ____

- nitrate reading ____

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____

- municipal water ____

- RO water ____

10. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.

11. Please tell us what you feed your fish and how often. This can be critical information for solving the problem so be as specific as you can.

12. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.

Quote Originally Posted by antonium98 View Post
    Hello everyone, this is my first post and it’s sad that it is for a sick discus.
    First of all sorry for my English.
    I took 4 wild alenquers and 3 non wild in bad shape from a friend and I am trying to save them.
    They are going really better. After flagyl they start to eat. They eat live food- frozen and flakes. They still doesn’t like pellets. I used Epsom salt too and it seems that helped them a lot. They have gill flukes too I think. I made a treatment with Edna gdex and they breath better and doesn’t scratch or something anymore. The problem that remains is that one discus has an unusual behaviour. He swims normal and eats a lot but some times he stays like the photo I put. He stays a little like that and he comes back and moves again normal and eats. When he stays like that moves fast his fins and is like cough. He is getting dark only in this position after that his colours come back.
    My ph is 4,5 ammonia 0 no2 0 no3 11-12
    Fish are still in quarantine. 125ltr which I had with other fishes but I made it quarantine for them.
    Anyone has any idea what he has?D0E8D4A6-04EF-4752-9EEF-81891988905A.jpg
    Last edited by seanyuki; 06-04-2021 at 07:45 PM.
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Antonis Sklavounos

Disease Questionnaire - please complete

I have a friend who stops the hobby. He had 7 discus in bad shape. They didn’t eat and they we’re hiding permanently. They had fin problems gill problems and they are so thin. I took them all and I put them in quarantine. I used flagyl Epsom salt and esha gdex. They all a seem good now and they eat a lot and breath well but one still has a problem

DISEASE QUESTIONNAIRE

Problem: one discus sometimes makes headstanding on 45 degrees with fast moving on fins and like cough. Also he is really black on this position. He leaves coat a lot cause the smaller discus is bitting him on this position. After this move he is coming back to eat and swim normal and normal colors.

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?

The one alenquer sometimes makes headstanding on 45 degrees with fast moving on fins and like cough. Also he is really black on this position. He leaves coat a lot cause the smaller discus is bitting him on this position. After this move he is coming back to eat and swim normal and normal colors.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).

He is turning black and has the head up on 45 degrees and fast fin moving and gills like cough

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.
    When I took them all I used Epsom salt 2teaspoons for every 40ltr, flagyl on 3 days treatment and every 8 hours 50%wc and the new dosage. Esha gdex

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.
    125ltr quarantine 7 discus 100a/o water. The fish are from 7-8cm to 15-16cm

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).
    Without treatment I do every second day 30-40%

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?
    Is quarantine so it runs from the discus coming. sand 3-4cm

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.
    I use a/o water and I let it with electrolytes and discus trace 7-8 hours so can go on the right temperature

8. What type/brand water conditioner do you use? Do you add it to the tank or aging barrel? How much do you use?
    Discus trace seachem and kennt electrolytes. I added on barell.
    9. Parameters and water source;
    4,5 ph kh 1 ammonia 0 no2 0 no3 around 12
    Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp _29_

- ph _4,5____

- ammonia reading __0__

- nitrite reading __0__

- nitrate reading _12___

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.
    100% a/o
    - well water ____

- municipal water ____

- RO water ____

10. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.
    All the fish are new on the quarantine

11. Please tell us what you feed your fish and how often. This can be critical information for solving the problem so be as specific as you can. I give 6-7 diferent foods. Ocean nutrition community formul flakes- spiriting flakes discus flakes, tropical soft line America-discus gran wild, sera discus granulat-granured, haquoss chironomus natural-allium flakes-discus flakes. Live Artemia and worms,frozen beef heart and brine schrimp

12. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.6D7CF754-3F09-4077-BAA8-00EAA580F40E.jpg

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Antonis Sklavounos

Real Name
    Francis

Grasshopper
    Francis

Real Name
    Francis

Use Regular salt (sodium chloride) also sold as kosher salt, pickling salt, rock salt or aquarium salt is the type of salt we eat. It helps fish gill function and will reduce fungus and bacteria at high enough concentrations. A typical dose is 1 or 2 tablespoons per ten gallon of tank water disolved in a cup and poured in tank. This treatment usually lasts a week or so.To keep the salt concentration stable you must add more salt when you add clean water to the tank. Let's say you have removed 10 gallons of water for a water change and will be adding 10 gallons of clean water back. Add another 1 or 2 tablespoons salt to replace the salt lost through water change.
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Antonis Sklavounos

Really thank you for your fast answer. I will try with the salt again and I will say how is going.
    What can he has. I can’t underestand his behaviour. I think the gills is the problem but all’s the others are ok now. Only he stays with problem. I haven’t photo from the first days with the fishes. I didn’t believe that they will live and will come back

Registered Member

When you change water then add salt. The table salt treatment works quickly for many problems. I use sea salt.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Antonis Sklavounos

Table salt is the salt that we use to cook? How can I know that is ok for use

Real Name
    Francis

The ingredient should say as sodium chloride.

Quote Originally Posted by antonium98 View Post
    Table salt is the salt that we use to cook? How can I know that is ok for use
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Antonis Sklavounos

Really thank you guys. I will try with salt again and I will come back to say the results

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Antonis Sklavounos

Hello again, I tried with the salt but didn’t help. I think that maybe is a bacteria that hit the fish in the gill.
    What else can it be?

Have you tried treating him with esha ndx? Usually bacterial infections work faster. This seems to be slow progression. It is possible it could be roundworm rather than tapeworm.
    There is no way to know for sure without a veterinarian but with the elapsed time since medicating it probably wont hurt to try a different deworming.

Tammy
    Tammy

Salt is the cure for everything!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast