AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Discus eggs

Registered Member

Default Discus eggs

I have a pair of discus that lay eggs and will guard them. After about 2 days they eat them. I have removed them a couple of times but at about 30 hours 20 percent turn white the rest don’t turn white until about 5 hrs before they hatch which only about 6 will hatch. The eggs are very dark and you can see the eye but like I said they get so close to hatching then they turn white. Any information would be greatly appreciate. The temp is 83 and the tds is 150.

Registered Member

Default Re: Discus eggs

Some strains have weak spawns, the eggs might be fertile but too weak to hatch out.
    Hopefully the next spawning will be stronger.
    Cliff

Registered Member

They have spawned at least a dozen times and the same happens

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by springer View Post
    They have spawned at least a dozen times and the same happens
    Not unusual for line breeding, inbreeding and genetic mismatch.

Cliff

Registered Member

Have you tried lowering the hardness with a mix of RO water? I had similar issues with low fertilization rates and most eggs not getting fertilized. I understand lower hardness water allows the eggs more time before they calcify, so if your male isn't quick enough, it will give him more time to fertilize before hardening. I did this (dropped my TDS from about 150 to about 70) and my fertilization rate went from about 5% to about 85%. My fish don't eat them until the wriggler stage. I let them fan the eggs for a day after spawning, then I cage the eggs.

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Quote Originally Posted by springer View Post
    I have a pair of discus that lay eggs and will guard them. After about 2 days they eat them. I have removed them a couple of times but at about 30 hours 20 percent turn white the rest don’t turn white until about 5 hrs before they hatch which only about 6 will hatch. The eggs are very dark and you can see the eye but like I said they get so close to hatching then they turn white. Any information would be greatly appreciate. The temp is 83 and the tds is 150.
    Its great that you have a confirmed fertile pair. Rather than removing the eggs to avoid them getting eaten, have you tried placing some plastic wire mesh over them to protect them?
    Good luck on whatever you decide
    We're here for a good time...not a long time