ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Discus darting, seizure

Registered Member

Default Discus darting, seizure

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish. When did you notice the problems and did anything unusual happen that you think started them?

I think it could have started after I relocated the decor maybe 3 weeks ago, reason for moving the decorations was to try to lower their fighting as it was getting pretty intense. There was 2 new discus added a little bit later, I didn't quarantine them since my lfs told me they already treated them.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds).

the blue diamond has tiny white dots on his sides, the skin also looks like it has dark patches and patches of no color, I observed the fish yesterday at night and I could see it darting and flicking in the dark then floating to the top and back to normal, it also has some swelling in the eye? one looks like it's at an angle, but the eyes look clear all the time. Symptoms for almost 3 weeks and no other fish ever had any white dots or skin that looks like that. One day they look healthy and the next would dart a couple of times, then would all hurdle and hide. There also seems to be a lot of side fin fluttering and one fin clamping, some chipping, it would happen for extended periods of time so It can't be territorial and yesterday I observed my biggest one having something that looked like a seizure, it started shaking like never before and even tilted downwards. No other symptoms on her and all the fish are eating normally.

3. What medications/ treatments have you already tried and what were the results. Include dosage and duration of treatment.

I've dipped all in meth blue and currently using microbe-lift herbtana, day 4, need input before I put meds in the tank.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and ages, numbers and sizes of fish.

100 gallons, 2- 1 month, the other about a year. 3-4 inch, 6-7inch. 7 In total

5. Water change regime (What percentage and how often).

30% everyday or 50% every other day.

6. How long has tank been running? Is it bare bottom? If you have substrate, what type and how deep is it?

over a year, white gravel 1-2inch.

7. Do you age your water? If you do for how long and what is the ph swing.

I don't, I would say no more than 0.2

8. What type/brand water conditioner do you use? Do you add it to the tank or aging barrel? How much do you use?

-

9. Parameters and water source;

Note: Water Parameters are important in diagnosing problems within a tank. If you don't own test kits for the following information, you can purchase them, test your parameters and post this info as soon as possible.

- temp __85f___

- ph __8___

- ammonia reading __0__

- nitrite reading __0__

- nitrate reading __2-5__

What type of water or combinations of water sources do you use? If it is an RO/tap/well water mix, please list percentages in the mix.

- well water ____

- municipal water __+__

- RO water ____

10. Any new fish, plants or inverts added recently.

Yes, 2 smaller discus a month ago.

11. Please tell us what you feed your fish and how often. This can be critical information for solving the problem so be as specific as you can.

beef heart mix,(stendker discus good heart) 3 times a day, about 4g each feeding. Sometimes brine shrimp and bloodworms.

12. Include any pictures or videos you have which shows the symptoms. If you can't add them to this post, please provide a link to them.

Currently uploading videos and need to cut them up.

EDIT:
    The blue diamond is refusing to eat, changing about 70% water now.
    Last edited by lemonsaucer; 06-13-2021 at 08:38 AM.

Registered Member

Default Re: Discus darting, seizure

Registered Member

I added prazi like 15 minutes ago just in case and I think it worked, atleast for now. They all started to twitch and shake, so prazi is working? Only unexplained symptoms are swollen eyes in adults and fin chiping, as there is no ph swing and I would think my water is pretty clean.
    Last edited by lemont23; 06-14-2021 at 06:03 AM.

Registered Member

But scratching.

I would do daily water changes for a week. Cleaning substrate thoroughly. That will clear up the bacteria nodes (pimples). As for the seizures, i would say your discus are wanting to breed.

Tammy
    Tammy

Salt is the cure for everything!

Real Name
    Brian

First off, never avoid QT no matter what the seller says. Introducing discus into a new environment is stressful and can cause issues they aren't immune to.

A 70% unaged water change can also be risky depending on the water source and expanding gasses can be an irritant. I would age your water in a holding barrel or do smaller water changes.

I don't see any real issues in the video, although at about 1:13 I may see some dots on the Turq. It could possible be cross contamination but I don't think so, more likely bacterial nodes...

Tammy agrees they could be in breeding mode... territorial and fighting. A good precaution would be to raise the temp to 88-89 and add 2 TBS salt per 10g with regular water changes of 40% daily if unaged water and more if you can age it. Another way to make sure the water is clean if using straight tap water is to do a 30% morning and 30% evening water change...
    Last edited by jeep; 06-16-2021 at 12:24 PM.

Registered Member

Yes jeep, only that one discus has visible signs on it, the others particulary the big ones have swollen eyes. Im afraid to add salt since I have new plants. I did increase the temp to 90f and fed them food soaked in epsom salt, their fins are errect now probably because of the temp since the one that didnt eat also has errect fins, but their eyes look more swollen,still mildly. My tap water has no ph swing but the pipe is full off bubbles, I stuffed a sponge in the pipe, and drilled small holes so the water is splashing. Is the eye swelling and scratching because of gas saturation? Their eyes are still clear, this never happened before and I even changed 80% water before with no symptoms.
    I will try to buy a barrel for water aging if it is indeed the bubbles causing the darting, but my mom is very sceptical about it, since there isn't a place for it. I said I'll keep it in my room😂
    Last edited by lemont23; 06-17-2021 at 05:45 AM. Reason: Adding info

Registered Member

It's good so see such beautiful fish happy and healthy. Contrats.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Francis

Converted

IMG_0280.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by lemont23 View Post
    Grasshopper
    Francis

Registered Member

Thanks, trying my best to keep them as happy as possible
    Last edited by lemonsaucer; 06-21-2021 at 05:45 PM. Reason: My mistake for commenting on different accounts.