ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: A little wild eye candy!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Roy

Default A little wild eye candy!

Hi All,

One of the master breeders of our local club has had these for not quite a year, they were juvies when he got them in Peru - Symphysodon aequifasciatus (Red Spot Green Discus) from the Rio Nanay; two have already paired up and spawned.

Last edited by Seattle_Aquarist; 06-18-2021 at 10:12 PM.

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re: A little wild eye candy!

That one dead center towards the back is a great specimen of a wild RSG even though we can't see all of it. Very nice spots!!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Tom

Wow! What Brian said !
    Very nice fish
    Respectfully, Matt

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Roy

They are still maturing, it will be several more months before they are fully mature and reach full coloration. I think all discus are pretty much beautiful no matter what color but there is something about the wild species that I really like. Mother Nature did a great job!

I hope you or he will let us know when he has fry for sale.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Roy

Hi @LizStreithorst,

He has several spawns that are growing out currently but doesn't ship fish. Ever visit Seattle in the summer, fresh seafood, comfortable temperatures and, low humidity? I grew up in St. Louis....I remember the humidity quite well!
    -Roy

I'd give my eye teeth but I can't travel for many reasons the first being monetary. He could make a bundle selling F1 wild RSG's on AB. Does he not have a friend who could walk him through it? I could send him supplies and walk him through it but there is nothing better than hands on teaching. Let me know via PM or on the forum.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Jake

Love the wilds. Looks like the pictures are from Dean's Fishroom. Love watching him online. He has a nice setup with Cory at Aquarium Co-Op, so I wonder if Cory would be more open to shipping them for Dean.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Roy

Hi Jake,

I've known Cory since before he started Co-op; when he was a clerk in a retail store. He doesn't ship fish either, just plants and dry goods. He is a strong supporter of our local aquarium club, Greater Seattle Aquarium Society (GSAS.org).

Dean believes, and it is likely true, that the local market for F1's is probably large enough to absorb whatever number of fry he wants to produce. He breeds several species, red Koi angels, exotic plecos & corys, some very nice ricefish, and his Midnight Rams. His fishroom is small, about the size of my office in the house. He does maximize the space and his automated water change system is sweet. If anything regarding shipping changes I will let folks on the forum know. -Roy

Thanks Roy. I'll be watching. For the sake of the fish in general they need to be spread around so others can share their genetics. My fingers will stay crossed.
    Mama Bear