ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Preparation H

Default Preparation H

I went to the dollar store just now to pick up things I didn't know I was out of. Mostly I wanted to buy Preperation H for my chicken with a prolapsed vent. It's totally unlikely that I'll make it able to stay back in where it belongs but I'm going to try. I got all one breed so I wouldn't be able to tell which one was gone if a critter got it. That doesn't work when you have one with a part of it's insides sticking out. The things suggested that are worth a try are to clean the area daily. If it's out apply Prep H, push back in and hold her in your lap for 20 minutes every day. She must live in a covered dog crate, fed moist foods lightly, with water always available. You let her out every day for a half hour or so to eat what she finds in the wildish world around my house.

I go through this routine every day until either she gets to where it stays in or I fail to heal her. I made myself process and cook a chicken once before. I didn't like it but I did it. Nothing makes better chicken stock that stock make from a real chicken. Even the expensive store bought stock doesn't compare. My take on the situation is that it is my moral obligation to try to fix her. If I do fail it is my obligation to make the best use of what's left of her after life leaves her. Nobody I know has this attitude so I guess I'm a little crazy. But I'm old and allowed to be a little crazy.
    Mama Bear

SimplyDiscus Sponsor Chicago Discus's Avatar

Default Re: Prperation H

Liz, you have the heart and soul of a frontier woman. I mean that in the best possible way. I have had several chickens with uterine prolapse, and managed to save two of them. But I took the cowards way out and had the veterinarian do the work. Good going Liz! You have my admiration! I will try the Preparation H trick next time.
    Chicago Discus

Website-- www.chicagodiscus.com
    Email---- chicagodiscus@att.net

Thanks for not thinking I'm crazy, girl friend. I think that you nailed my personality. I am a frontier woman. I'll let you know if the prep H works. I'm going to catch the hen right after I finish WC and sit with her on my lap pushing her insides back in.
    Mama Bear

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

I don't think you are crazy Liz, just doing your best to save a chicken. Good luck with her, and good for you for trying!
    Barb

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!

Thanks, Barb. I did more research and prep H is no longer the preferred treatment. They say just antibiotic/steroid ointment and holding it in when it comes out. The poor thing wanted to lay today and I had to help her. Then I put her back in her cage she poops and it comes out again. It's a good thing I'm almost always home.
    Mama Bear

Miranda, what did you do when you treated your hens for this? The article that said no Prep H and antibiotic ointment instead also suggested that I soak a cotton ball in Witch Hazel and push it back in with that.

I pushed it back in 4 times yesterday. This morning she had pooped and it was out again. It stayed in and then the poor girl laid an egg while I was out at the grocery store. She was able to do it without help but of course it was out again. It was encouraging to me that even after laying an egg there was much less tissue out than there had been. I went through the cleaning, ointment and putting it back in and holding it in with the witch hazel soaked cotton ball. Then I let her go out side and watched her. She pooped and it needed putting her back together again.

What did you feed your hens while you were treating them? I'm feeding boiled corn, minced green beans and peas with a little baby food banana. She has the $hits. (I'd use the correct word but I can never spell it). I'll take a fecal to the vet tomorrow and make them check it for free because I give the vets free eggs. I wormed the flock 2 or 3 weeks ago with liquid fenbendazol. They may need worming again, or her $hits may be the result of her change in diet. I need to know. It's encouraging to me that it doesn't come out as far as it did yesterday, she managed to lay her egg without help, and that when I let her out this afternoon she was carrying her tail higher and walking with her legs closer like the others do. She's back in her hospitalization cage till morning.
    Mama Bear

Hi Liz, I can't give you any first-hand advice because I have always rushed my hens right to the vet when they get a prolapse. From my reading, however, there is often a blockage of some sort that is causing her to expel her uterus. This could be a broken egg or a something like that which she is straining to push out, and it would prevent the uterus from staying inside. I've read that calcium citrate supplement would help with the contractions and help her pass something that is blocking her. You are right that if she can lay an egg with the prolapse, then she has a very good chance of clearing whatever else might be blocking the tissue from going back in. You may want to give her antibiotics in case the tissue gets infected when it is out. Of course you will not be able to eat her eggs for a few weeks after antibiotics. She is going to continue to have runny poop until it gets resolved, but just keep her clean. I don't change their diet when treating them, just give them layer mash and mixed greens. When I bring them home from the vet, they always give me antibiotics (amoxycillin) and anti-inflammatory (meloxicam) for a week or two.
    Chicago Discus

Website-- www.chicagodiscus.com
    Email---- chicagodiscus@att.net

Thanks Miranda. That was helpful.
    Mama Bear

Default Re: Preparation H

I just checked on her and it stayed in all night!!! She's outside for a while now pecking and scratching in the grass.
    Mama Bear

Very good news Liz. I am so glad that things worked out (or worked in).

She's not out of the woods yet. It came out while she was outside being a normal chicken. But it was just a little bit out this time. She's back in solitary until afternoon when I'll let her be a normal chicken for a while before I put her to bed. I'm feeling more optimistic. I only wish she would stop laying.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Mervin

Is the rooster getting at her while she's out. I'm thinking they can be heavy for a hen.

I don't have a rooster. They are heavy and can rupture a hen's cruciate ligament. They don't have a penis though so they don't harm a hen's vent.
    Mama Bear

My chicken's prolapse has stayed in for a full day! She wants to go outside but she had a couple of hours outside this morning. I want to keep her mostly inside in the afternoon so that if she lays an egg I can check her butt right away and put anything back inside than needs to be inside.

Please help me find a name for this girl. I have become attached to her.
    Mama Bear

I hope that this will be my final post in this thread. I think that the hen, I named her Isabel, is finally better. The prolapse has stayed in ever since my last post.

She didn't want to come back in yesterday afternoon so I left her out all day. I did keep an eye on her. She was ready to come back inside in the evening. All the rest of the hens were up in the holly tree where they prefer over the lovely chicken house I built for them, damn chickens...Isabel was pacing back and forth in front of door so I let her in and let her go to bed in her dog crate where she has a nice cage pad a little boiled corn and peas and a small chicken waterer. I had to make the lazy thing go outside this morning.

It won't bother me if she comes in every night to sleep in her crate if it makes her happy. But it will be better for her to sleep in the tree with the other hens. As much as I like to have pets to care for, I want my chickens to do well even if they don't have me to take care of them. I got this breed, Bielefelder, because the breeder wanted chickens that were good for producing large eggs, for eating, and most importantly for living free range.
    Mama Bear

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast